Spike Diet

Options
So has anyone heard about this Spike Diet technique where you eat whatever you want one day a week in order to keep your metabolism flowing? It makes sense it seems like muscle confusion in workouts except it's calorie confusion. I usually eat about 1450 net calories a day (eating around 1800 food and working off about 400 calories). I was just wondering if this was unhealthy for your blood sugar and is just some fad diet like the rest of the "book diets."

Any info would be appreciated thanks :)

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I think what you're referring to is calorie cycling (or zig zagging) and from what I understand it can be very effective. If you do a search on here there's a website that will tell you what your goals for the week should be doing this, but for you it would be something like 2 days at 1300, 1 day at 1600, 2 days at 1300, 1 day at 1600....and so on. If you do a search for either of the terms above there's a ton of info on the forums
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i don't purposely eat crap once a week, it just usually happens that way. usually on payday cuz neither my hubby nor i feel like cooking! LOL But i am still losing weight, so maybe there is something to it! I think it all has to do with ur body and how it responds to exercise and diet!
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i don't purposely eat crap once a week, it just usually happens that way. usually on payday cuz neither my hubby nor i feel like cooking! LOL But i am still losing weight, so maybe there is something to it! I think it all has to do with ur body and how it responds to exercise and diet!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Timothy Ferriss talks about this in his book "The Four Hour Body." There are some guidelines to this...such as very low carb/sugar intake through the week; no dairy; no fruits....and then spike the insulin one day a week.
  • imgonnawin
    Options
    Yes it's called taking one day a week off!! I have always done that it's good for your sanity and it doesn't effect your diet in a negative way at all!!
  • AJB87
    AJB87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    not sure if it's unhealthy for you or not, but it does seem to jump start the metabolism when you eat "bad" food one day a week. I've done it and it seems to help. a couple of my co-workers have been doing it as well and they said that it helped them to get past their plateau weight and lose a few more pounds when they became stuck. I'd be interested in others responses as well.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I do not take a "day off" from my food plan, but I DO calorie shift, making sure to not eat the same things 2 days in a row, and to not eat the same amount of calories 2 days in a row. Since I've been doing this I've seen better results. I do feel it is good to "keep your body guessing".
  • Kristy085
    Kristy085 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've read this one many fitness websites. I've been having one day a week where I splurge and I continuously lose weight, so there might be magic to the madness!
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    i've only heard of this technique as part of the "slow carb" diet. i'd also be interested to hear the responses.

also, of the friends i have who are using this technique that have all seen fantastic results.