Custom % VS. MFP % ???? Opinions Please!!

Options
So I want to hear everyones opinion from experience....Do you only watch your calories or do you watch your fat, carbs, sugar, sodium, protien...as well???? Im curious what has worked best for different people...as of right now I have put my MFP on a custom% of 1200 cals, 50% protien, 30% carbs, and 20% fat, and I try not to go over no more then -10 on my sodium and sugar.
Ive had it at that custom % for a few weeks now and have lost 10lbs doing this and exercising. I dont mind doing this cuz it has worked fine but it is hard (at times) and boring food wise(at times) sticking to this % of carbs, fat, protien and making sure I get all my cals as well...I know some people just go by the what % MFP gives them when they calculate there weight, height, and stuff, and do very well losing weight as well...so Ive always been curious if the people that go by what MFP gives you, if you stress on watching your sodium, sugar ect. alot or just worry about staying under/on your exact calorie intake...I was just getting a little bored eating so much protien all the time and was trying to debate if I should try going by the MFP % for a while to change things up. Or if someone has tried what MFP % they give you then went on to customising your %...please share your differences, I want opinions from lots of different people, I am a gymaholic mon-wed and I am a super mom thurs-sunday when I have my son so I want to hear what works best for the single person that has time for the gym or always on the go and also for the stay at home moms that like to have lots of family time and are surrounded with bbq's, kids b-day parties, ect... cuz I find I can be super strict with myself mon-wed, and then i need more options on the weekends when visiting family and such...I was sort of thinking of doing my custom % routine( 50% protien, 30% carbs, 20%fat) mon-wed, then doing the MFP% routine thurs-sunday????

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I don't push low cal or high protein. I usually push a balanced diet. Cabs 45-60%, Protein 15-30%, Fat 20-30%. But that is my take.
  • ScatteredWriter
    Options
    I haven't customized, but I am keeping an eye on my carb/protein/fat ratio as well as my sugar intake. Right now my diet is working for me, if it ever stops, or if I start having trouble with my workouts, I'll have some data to look at.

I'm bad at not getting enough protein, so want to make sure I keep an eye on that.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I just started changing mine about a bit. Mine's 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein. I only watch the sat fat though, and have kept that at 13g?

I don't have a clue to be honest! I am focusing on not being too over on sugar and eating more protein than I ever have done before though!
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I haven't changed my proportions of macronutrients - I could never keep it up in the long term. I'm just watching my calories, fibre & sodium as much as I can.
    I could never eat high protein/low carb in the long run, and I figure if I lose weight doing it it'll come back when I stop doing it. I also don't buy into the whole high protein - low carb thing.
    I'm just trying to eat what I always did, just a bit less, and less (not none) of the bad stuff :wink: