fixed number of fat cells in body?

Options
Is it true?
I heard long ago that the number of fat cells in my body is fixed at a very young age and that people like me blessed with a large number store fat easier. My niece's experience would add some credibility to that theory because having undergone a lot of liposuction the only place she can gain weight is in her breasts.

Replies

• snookemz
    snookemz Posts: 82
    Options
    I beleive that you are born with a certain number of fat cells - all of us with roughly the same number - and they can multiply as we grow BUT they can not be gotten rid of, only depleted, unless you use liposuction.
  • jms023
    jms023 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That's true. But, a healthy diet and exercise regimen still works to reduce the amount of fat in your body. You may have a greater number of fat cells in your body due to being heavy at a young age, but if you lead a healthy lifestyle you can deplete all of them of their fat stores. The people who have a fewer number of fat cells simply store more fat in the fat cells they have, so having a fewer number of fat cells does not mean that you can't get fat.