HRM

Options
After reading :Disappointed!! HRM vs Machine Calories, I'm extremely confused what I should log for calories burned. I have always logged my 3 different machine calories burned (I do enter my weight but not my age when I do each machine).

I just ordered a HRM and will be getting it tomorrow. How should I record this into MFP? Please explain it as if I'm in the 6th grade. I get confused very easily.

and because of the Post that I read, I'm now debating if I should return the Watch HRM?

The HRM I bought is a Timex Ironman Road Trainer Heart Rate Monitor Watch, can anyone let me know if this a good one?

Replies

• nikkigiesige
    Options
    I just bought a HRM w/ calorie count watch from walmart ($30) but not sure if i want to keep it because I have to hold the button in to find out what my Heart rate is....then my calories were 100 more than what the machine said too. So I am not sure which one I am supposed to go by either, or if the watch is even worth it.
  • Beebs33
    Beebs33 Posts: 262
    Options
    Love my Timex HRM!!!!! I use it every time I work out. It is so much more accurate than the machines. The machines you are using probably does not keep track of your HR the whole time. Machines are known for their inaccurate caloric count. My HRM had me burning less calories than the machines but it made me realize I need to push harder. I got my HRM off Amazon. It is worth it!
  • Dkittery
    Dkittery Posts: 82
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one. Whew.... :happy:
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    This is what I did:

1. Click on Exercise
    2. Click on Add Exercise under Cardiovascular
    3. I just typed any letter or word into the search box to be able to get to the next page (whatever you type won't matter because you just want to be able to get to the next page to.....
    4. CLICK ON "ADD AN EXERCISE TO THE DATABASE" under the search results.
    5. Name your results for your HRM results whatever you want. I named mine "Gym Exercises." I have seen people name their "Misc. Gym Exercises", "HRM", and so on.
    6. Put in how long and how much your HRM said you burnt after your first workout.

After you have set it up and recorded it for the first time doing the second time and every time afterward:
    1. Click on Exercises
    2. Click on Add Exercise under Cardiovascular
    3. The name you called your HRM workout should show up under the search box under the "Sort By: Most Recent" workouts.
    4. Check the box next to its name.
    5. Delete the number that is in the Minutes box and record how many minutes your HRM said you worked out.
    6. Delete the number that is in the Calories box and record how many calories your HRM said you worked out.
    7. Press "Add Checked" and all done!

It is really simple to do. I can't help you though about the Timex brand because I have a Polar FT40. Hope this helped!
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    The ones with the chest straps are more accurate. I have a Polar FT4 and luuurve it! If you're concerned about that whole "subtract the maintenance calorie" thing, just leave a little extra in your exercise calories and don't eat them all back. I don't think it's healthy to be TOO fanatical about your numbers, especially if this is something you want to do for life! JMO.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, just make sure your HRM has a chest strap because I had a previous one without one and it was aweful at being correct. Definitely trust your HRM over the machines because the machines are known to be wrong. The HRM has more info specifically about you.
  • Dkittery
    Options
    Thanks Evanescenexlum. You are the best... :happy: :happy:
  • Dkittery
    Options
    Aspynmom, I was kind of hoping I could get a better read on how much calories I burned during my work out, not what I have done all day long. It's more of curiosity factor for me at this point. I want to make sure I'm truely burning the calories. I don't want to take in more calories than is necessary. I do plan on doing this for life. :) I want to make sure I start my calorie intake and burning correctly. :) I know that MFP isn't going to be hundred percent accurate but I would like to be as close as possible.

Once I have it down pat, I don't plan on being overly obsessed with it. LOL :)
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I just got my HRM for my birthday and I love it. You got an excellent explanation on how to log your HRM reading. I just put the name of the activity and place HRM next to it.

Congrats on your new HRM. They really are incredible.