Trigger foods

Welp here is my theory on cheating. I think that it is necessary, in moderation, to keep you on track, as long as you stay away from certain things and do it in small amounts.
My sister read about something called "trigger foods" and it said that we all have a certain food that causes us to crave the bad things that we eat. If you can find yours and stop eating it for 2 weeks, the cravings stop and you will be amazed. She lost like 40 pounds this way.
I found mine, it is suger, especially certain kinds. I still have soda, and a desert here and there, but mostly I dont eat it. It was hard at first, but now the cravings are gone, I have also lost most of my other carb cravings that got me into so much trouble. This is a huge help for me. I dont know if this will help anyone else, but all those cravings will do you in, and this is the only way that i have found to get rid of them.

Replies

• rtamayo
    rtamayo Posts: 85 Member
    Welp here is my theory on cheating. I think that it is necessary, in moderation, to keep you on track, as long as you stay away from certain things and do it in small amounts.
    My sister read about something called "trigger foods" and it said that we all have a certain food that causes us to crave the bad things that we eat. If you can find yours and stop eating it for 2 weeks, the cravings stop and you will be amazed. She lost like 40 pounds this way.
    I found mine, it is suger, especially certain kinds. I still have soda, and a desert here and there, but mostly I dont eat it. It was hard at first, but now the cravings are gone, I have also lost most of my other carb cravings that got me into so much trouble. This is a huge help for me. I dont know if this will help anyone else, but all those cravings will do you in, and this is the only way that i have found to get rid of them.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    I love sweets. I didn't eat dessert for a month - except very dark chocolate - does this mean I will have to give up my dark love?
    I agree that you can't give things up completely. I think it makes you want them more. If all you think about is that you can't have X, you could obsess about it. I like to plan when I'm going to have dessert, that way I'm not eating emotionally or compulsively. My next dessert will be Thanksgiving evening. After that, I'm not sure. Usually about every 3 weeks.
  • Giving up on sugar is really important. If you are ever going to go on a restrictive diet that would be the thing. I did it for a month. Zero sugar anything. I eliminated all high GI carbs. Giving up rice almost killed me not to mention potatoes, bread and pasta. After the first week it got easier by the end of the month it was easy. I felt so much better all day long because of it. No more insulin crashes. I will not ever go back to that again.

I don't crave those things anymore. I can now eat those things in moderation and I know to combine them with protein and high fiber foods so that they don't overload my system with sugar.
  • yoginimary
    Giving up on sugar is really important. If you are ever going to go on a restrictive diet that would be the thing. I did it for a month. Zero sugar anything. I eliminated all high GI carbs. Giving up rice almost killed me not to mention potatoes, bread and pasta. After the first week it got easier by the end of the month it was easy. I felt so much better all day long because of it. No more insulin crashes. I will not ever go back to that again.

I don't crave those things anymore. I can now eat those things in moderation and I know to combine them with protein and high fiber foods so that they don't overload my system with sugar.

did you give up all carbs? or just white ones? I haven't eaten white rice since the 1990s. I don't have insulin issues, but don't eat that many simple carbs either.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    My husband makes rice alot for meals and I'd like to change to brown rice but I know that I would have to make brown rice taste really good to make him want to use it at all. I know it is healthier for you but I don't know how to make it taste good. That is one switch I haven't made yet. He did try wheat pasta and didn't think it was bad. My strategy is to try it once a week to get him used to it and me too if truth be told but I would really appreciate it if anybody has a really tasty recipe for it.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Darn forgot to put my trigger food in the last post. I would have to say chocolate. Yeah it's a sugar but it is the only thing I seem to crave. The cravings are a whole lot less than they used to be but when I'm stressed I especially want chocolate. I found the chocolaty drizzle bars from special K seem to take care of the cravings. But if I have them in the house I want one everyday. So I use them as one snack a day under a 100 calories and it works for me. Ususally the later in the day the better because I am tired of working at the healthier lifestyle And yeah I still have to work at it, it doesn't come naturally yet, would be nice if it did. But after 49 years of eating crappy maybe that will take awhile. Anyway I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving. Today will be hard as I am making pies today. lol.
  • yoginimary
    I would use a mixture if husband doesn't like the taste of brown rice. Lundberg Country Wild is one brand that mixes wild rice with brown. Just call it exotic rice and husband may never know. Or put some saffron in and call it Indian rice. Or cook it with some soy sauce, which would turn white rice brown anyway.
  • Mary,
    I gave up the white ones. All of those that are really high in the GI (glycemic index). And sugars specifically fruit juices and fruits, regular colas sweet tea etc.

I only did it for a month to break the cravings. Now I can eat those things in small portions early in the day and the cravings don't come back.

I have not gone back to using sugar. Only diet cola and sweeter in tea and coffee.
  • rtamayo
    rtamayo Posts: 85 Member
    Try cooking the brown rice with chicken broth instead of water, it adds a great flavor. that is what I do. I gave up most of the refined white carbs too, now i eat whole grain bread, brown rice, ect. My husband can't tell the difference between the regular and the whole wheat pasta.
  • My husband makes rice alot for meals and I'd like to change to brown rice but I know that I would have to make brown rice taste really good to make him want to use it at all. I know it is healthier for you but I don't know how to make it taste good. That is one switch I haven't made yet. He did try wheat pasta and didn't think it was bad. My strategy is to try it once a week to get him used to it and me too if truth be told but I would really appreciate it if anybody has a really tasty recipe for it.

we fell in love with the nutty flavor of brown rice, so it was easy for me to switch. Although, just plain rice can get real boring. I found a delicious recipe for caribbean rice. Basically just add a can of drained mandarin oranges to the rice, a dash of cinnamon and there you go. You could also add some crushed pineapple...it really adds zip.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    If you live near a TRADER JOES they have a frozen brown rice that is delicious. My kids even like it. It comes 3 bags to a box, heat it in the microwave for about 90 seconds and tada, rice is ready.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    We use the same frozen brown rice from TJ's - gotta love TJ's! I also like their whole wheat pita bread and the new frozen gorgonzola chicken is awesome!
  • mommacady
    mommacady Posts: 3 Member
    I'm from Thailand and I eat rice everyday, so it was really hard for me to switch to brown rice. I found Jasmine brown rice in the asian markets and it's very good. Since brown rice tends to take longer and is not as soft and fluffy, it's best to soak it in water overnight and then cook it the next morning. I use a rice cooker, so it's quite easy. Cooking it with chicken broth is also tasty.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    Check your chicken broth sodium contents. I usually use half water and half organic free range chicken broth from Costco - they have a brown rice/wild rice mix that is excellent if you have a Costco.

cm

Oh- (I have a hard time staying on topic, sorry - ADD) :embarassed: My trigger is any bread or rice. Even whole wheat or bran will send me reeling to the next carb. I have cut down to one portion of bread or rice daily. And none after 5PM. It was sooo hard to do.

Breakfast is: two tbsp toasted oats mixed with two tbsp bran cereal with an apple and a quarter cup fat free plain organic yogurt in the morning. I lightly steam the apple, add a generous amount of cinnamon and three finely chopped almonds. It's warm and filling and gets the metabolism going.
  • tenea13
    tenea13 Posts: 1 Member
    This may sound a little strange it my mom and I really like it. I don't know how you make brown rice to begin with, probibly 2 cups water to 1 cup rice right? Well, replace the water with chicken broth (something with no added sodium, low fat, exc.) So its 2 cups chicken Broth, 1 cup Brown Rice. Its very good. Well, I hope that helps.
  • what about minute brown rice, is it good??
    what would be the difference between regular brown rice and the minute brown rice???
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    I'm a big fan of homemade stocks! If I don't have a chicken carcass handy (okay, that sounded super gross, but that's what you need for stock!) I just make my own vegetable stock. Just simmer a bunch of root veggies (garlic, onion, carrots, turnips, celery, etc.) with any fresh or dried herbs you have on hand (parsley, rosemary, peppercorns, thyme, sage, oregeno, etc.) for 2-3 hours, strain, then divy it up into bowls or plastic baggies and freeze them. You can make it salt free or REALLY low in salt. I usually use about 1 Tbsp for my huge stockpot full of stock. It's great! Helps you control the salt and makes it so much tastier.

Okay, trigger foods...I haven't been a huge fan of sweets (ice cream, candy, etc.) in a long time. It's not that I don't like them, but I'd rather have something salty instead. I'd have to guess mine to be cheese. Give me a loaf of Tillamook Sharp Cheddar and I'll go to town! Does that count as a trigger food? I swear...cheese is the best food on earth! I've stuck to only purchasing reduced fat pre-sliced kind and shredded kind. It's sad, but I had to do it.
  • I might be a rarity. Salty foods are my triggers.... Chips, pizza, cheese.. etc. I guess that'd be JUNK food. :laugh: I can pretty much eat most sweets without triggering a binge. Except cake.
    I don't eat a lot of white foods. I eat only brown rice, whole wheat bread.. pasta, etc. The only starchy food that I still eat is popcorn and potatoes. I usually will only eat potatoes once a day though...

The ONLY way I can control my trigger foods is to ban them from the house. My husband is pretty good about this, if he brings junk into the house (which is rare), he hides them.
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    The ONLY way I can control my trigger foods is to ban them from the house. My husband is pretty good about this, if he brings junk into the house (which is rare), he hides them.

Good for you!
    This is the same thing I do. I have to or I will be in it for sure.
    :flowerforyou:
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Okay, a couple of posts ago I was questioning if cheese could be a trigger food. I know that I can have it sprinkled on a salad, or a slice on a sandwich, but, yeah, I figured out last night that cheese DEFINITELY IS my trigger food! I've been doing so well at eating healthy but one stinkin candle party and, BAM, my self control is gone! Well, it was gone for last night, anyway. I skipped on wine and sipped water...but there was so much CHEESE! Brie, cheddar, pepper jack, cream cheese, havarti...Oh, the wonderful, wonderful CHEESE! I couldn't stop myself! I tried so hard to stick to carrots with hummus but it was no comparison to my salty, cheesey, love! Oh well, at least now I know what to keep out of the house! Dang it!