P90X - What do I need? Which package should I get?

Options
Hey guys,

I'm really thinking about getting the P90X program but I'm a little conflicted. On the Beach Body website there are a few different packages to choose from, also I found a package on the Costco website that I might get too.

Do I really need the $269 set that has all the stuff from their website? Link:

https://extranet.securefreedom.com/MillionDollarBody/csShopping/ShoppingCart_Detail.asp?PriceID=93593&Cat=Fitness Program|P90X

Or should I get the Costco one? Link:

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10345651&search=P90X&topnav=&Mo=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-CA&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&N=0&whse=BCCA&Dx=mode matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&Ne=4000000&D=P90X&Ntt=P90X&No=0&Nty=1&Ntx=mode matchallpartial

HELP!!! I have no problem paying the $$ if it's going to get me the best body I can get.

Thanks!!!

Replies

• bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    bump cause i'd love to read what others recommend too...
  • jram70
    jram70 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    You need the program, a pull up bar, yoga/exercise mat and weights or bands. I bought the DVDs from the beachbody site and that was it. Bought my pull up bar at Walmart, exercise mat at Academy and both weights and bands. If you haven't worked out in awhile bands will be fine. However, like me likely you will move into weights. Beachbody offers all kinds of supplements, recovery drinks, etc. I did not buy any of those, but many on here think they are great. I don't think you need a package but it may be more convenient.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the base package is all you need.

You need a pullup bar and theirs is nice but more cost effective versions exists. the pullup bar I use is homemade, a length of gas pipe bought from Home Depot with two flanges, screwed into ceiling joists in my garage. $10.

The bands work and are great for travel but I prefer real weights. If you're on a budget, the beach body bands are pretty good. Stay away from Wal-mart's, they break.
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    The Beach Body link doesn't work for me.

I'm almost done with week three of P90X and from what I can tell, the Costco deal is a good deal. If the Beach Body one is $269.99, I'm sure they are overcharging for any "goodies" like the pull-up bar, bands, etc. I don't know if the "Recovery Drink" is included in the $269 deal or not. I'm conflicted on the Recovery Drink. I'm sure it's beneficial, but it's rather pricey.

As I said, by only being able to look at the Costco link, I can't imagine there being $100 more of value in the Beach Body package.

Buy it. It's awesome. Good luck!
  • shumatet1982
    Options
    Hi.

I'll start with a basic set too. I agree with Buckeyt - bands are nice, but I do also preferr weights.
    I bought the pullup bar at amazon, and got some bands with it for about 25€.
    I think with this and a yoga mat, you're set to go. When you get fitter and stronger you can still get weights.

Greetings from Germany!
  • BethG39
    BethG39 Posts: 17
    Options
    All you need is the basic P90X package that Beachbody sells for $119.95. Then go to sports authority or target and get a yoga mat, some hand weights, and a resistance band w/ a door attachment. I'm in my 3rd round of P90X and that's all I've been using. I'm still not able to do a pull up so I use a resistance band w/ a door attachment to do the back exercises.

Good Luck!
    Beth
  • pinkprincessness
    pinkprincessness Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ok, the $270 package, no. You WILL need the pull up bar, but can get those at Target or somewhere similar. The speed bag thing in the Costco package isn't neccessary and I don't know why they have that in there. I would do the $120 basic package at Beachbody and get the pull up bar. The P90X Results & Recovery formula is awesome and I use it a few times a week (let me know if you want a sample and I can mail it to you) If you order through a Beachbody coach (like myself) you also get an additional 2 bonus DVD's for free with the basic program that you would NOT get at Costco, Feel free to message me here or on Facebook if either of you have any more questions. I'd love to be your online fitness coach (for free) and help you reach your goals :)
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    In the $269 package you get the plyometrics mat (which sells for $90 on the website anyways). Is that necessary, or just a yoga mat is fine? I have a yoga mat as well as 2, 3 & 5lb weights.

Oh I should add that I've been doing 30DS for 2 months and alternating between BFBM & NMTZ for 3 weeks.
  • CurriedGrasshopper
    CurriedGrasshopper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    a yoga mat is just fine but you're probably going to want heavier weights soon. I'm on week 2 of p90x and I'm already holding onto my 5lbs and 3lbs together because just 5 isn't enough and it'll be a few more weeks before my sports store gets my 10lbs in..
  • LemonCitron
    LemonCitron Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    a yoga mat is just fine but you're probably going to want heavier weights soon. I'm on week 2 of p90x and I'm already holding onto my 5lbs and 3lbs together because just 5 isn't enough and it'll be a few more weeks before my sports store gets my 10lbs in..

LOL. OMG. Really??? I'm a weakling. Are you sure about that?? Hahahaha.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I don't use the pull-up bar. I got bands to substitute for that. I plan on getting one at sometime but there is no sense if I can't even do 1 pull-up right now to spend the money on one.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    ohhhhh all this talk of p90x is making me want to doooo it....i hope my boss quits soon or i'll have to buy it for myself LOL...maybe for a reward...my 300days logging in comes around at the beginning of march...i bought my HRM as a reward for 60+days logging in back in october (i was late buying it cuase i talked myself out of thinking i needed it and now of course i'm addicted LOL)...anyway, yup i think that is gonna be my reward, if my boss doesnt hand it over before the first week of may, i'm gonna buy it for myself when i reach 300 days logged it...i'm excited now LOL...
  • CurriedGrasshopper
    CurriedGrasshopper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I don't use the pull-up bar. I got bands to substitute for that. I plan on getting one at sometime but there is no sense if I can't even do 1 pull-up right now to spend the money on one.

You can do modified ones with a chair. You put your legs on the chair, which reduces your weight considerably, it makes it significantly 'easier' .. you start with feet on top of chair, the closer the chair the more it helps, the further the less, eventually you switch to straight legs, then barely touching.. then eventually no chair (or at least, partly no chair)

I feel it was worth the purchase even though I can't do an unassisted pull-up yet.