Exercise and "Starvation mode"

Options
I know that a significant reduction in calorie intake can cause the body to go into "starvation mode" and start to store calories. Does exercise (2-4 miles daily brisk walking) offset the starvation mode so the body continues to burn calories and not store them? thanks for your responses.

Replies

• AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Nope. You'd just be digging deeper (a hole for yourself, that is).

Give your body the fuel it needs.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Nope. Starvation mode is your "net" calories. After logging your food and all exercise you should have a daily calorie remaining of zero, if you always have LOTS of calories left over you are giving yourself too much of a calorie deficit. When you keep having too much of a calorie deficit each day your body may go into starvation mode and horde all your calories on your butt (well thats where my body stores mine, ha ha) to save for later as it does not know when it might get "fed" again.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Also, putting yourself too far under not only can cause your body to store fat, but it will also start to cannibalize itself. Bye bye to muscles.
  • gaterbear
    gaterbear Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. That is really helpful and probably explains why I have been stuck at the same weight for awhile. Appreciate the help.