Liquid diet?

Options
Ok guys, my surgery is in 2 days and from now till wednesday I have to be on a FULL liquid diet. This sounds like a dumb question but what all would be considered liquid? My surgeon didn't specify, does it just have to be drinks or can you have jell-o, ice cream, ect...?

Replies

• ambertimmons21
    ambertimmons21 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Ok guys, my surgery is in 2 days and from now till wednesday I have to be on a FULL liquid diet. This sounds like a dumb question but what all would be considered liquid? My surgeon didn't specify, does it just have to be drinks or can you have jell-o, ice cream, ect...?
  • spaul82478
    spaul82478 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I think jello was a part of it.. not the chocolate jello but jello jello... and hard candies... but besdies that.. IM reallynot sure... call the hospital and they will tell you FOR SURE..dont take our words for it...lol
  • klikittyklak
    klikittyklak Posts: 144
    Options
    My brother had jaw surgery two days ago, so I'm well versed in this by now! He has to eat 3000 cals a day though, even with his jaw wired shut! :noway:

We bought lots of ensure, ice cream, ginger ale. Stuff to make into smoothies or milkshakes. Depending on the nature of your surgery you might be able to eat jello, pureed applesauce, yogurt, etc. Also, carnation makes a breakfast powder that you mix with milk that supposedly gives you lots of protein and calcium. Good luck!
  • aaubrey
    aaubrey Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I know you can have broth jello and other "clear liquids", but yours might not be that restrictive. I would think that ice cream and milk might make you nauseous, which is the point of the liquid...no poo and nothing to throw up from the anastesia(sp). I am sure you can look it up online though, google liquid diet pre-op or anastesia or something like that and I bet you can find guidelines. That sucks you have to do it but it wil be worth it.
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Chicken or beef broth, jello, juice, tea,even coffee, ice cream, creamed soup, popsicles. I'm a nurse so I know this diet regimen well.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    bring on the milkshakes :wink: hehe. Good luck with the surgery! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: feel good quick!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options

God luck with your surgery!!!!

You can have milk shakes too...Tropical Smoothie type...But stay away from anything with the seeds (strawberries). I had to do this when I fell ill a few months ago.

Let us know how things go!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you!!! I'm sure you're amazed that this day has already come (almost!) and I'm sure you'll be very happy with your results :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    call the hospital and they will tell you FOR SURE..dont take our words for it...lol

Although I'm sure everyone's recommendations were on point, call the hospital and ask for certain! Heaven forbid you have something you aren't supposed to and they cancel/delay the surgery!

Good luck with your surgery as well. I've been through a few in my lifetime. Wishing you a quick recovery!:flowerforyou: