Help on doing 1500 cals or 1200 cals/day?????

Options
2»

Replies

• Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    In the book I just read "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle", it states that women shouldn't go below 1400 when adding exercise to your fitness. Also you should eat back your calories. In other words, your net calories should be at 1400 at the end of the day. Also, try to get at minimum 10+ (8 oz) glasses of water a day.. Water is one of those things that is hard to overdo!

Just my two cents!

Matt

Exactly. Your net should always be back at your goal because there is already a deficit built in. That's why it says you earned an extra such and such a number of calories from exercise.

I wouldn't set your goal below your BMR. That's why I upped mine to 1250 because my BMR is 1248.

Sorry if this sounds dumb....but how did you figure your BMR? Are you talking about Burn rate? Or the suggestion on here?

It's not dumb. It's what your body burns if you were to stay in bed all day and not do anything. It's what your body then needs at least in calories to funtion, breath, grow hair and so on. You then need to add more calories for when you exercise because if you go below that number, you don't leave your body a good amount of calories to use in order to properly funtion and do what it needs to do.

How do you figure that out?

They have it on this site under tools or you can google BMR calculator.

Ok thanks. I used the one on here. Mine says 1800 calories...that is just nuts. No way would I eat 1800 a day LOL Ugh, this stuff can get frustrating LOL
  • Kat120285
    Kat120285 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    In the book I just read "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle", it states that women shouldn't go below 1400 when adding exercise to your fitness. Also you should eat back your calories. In other words, your net calories should be at 1400 at the end of the day. Also, try to get at minimum 10+ (8 oz) glasses of water a day.. Water is one of those things that is hard to overdo!

Just my two cents!

Matt

Exactly. Your net should always be back at your goal because there is already a deficit built in. That's why it says you earned an extra such and such a number of calories from exercise.

I wouldn't set your goal below your BMR. That's why I upped mine to 1250 because my BMR is 1248.

Sorry if this sounds dumb....but how did you figure your BMR? Are you talking about Burn rate? Or the suggestion on here?

It's not dumb. It's what your body burns if you were to stay in bed all day and not do anything. It's what your body then needs at least in calories to funtion, breath, grow hair and so on. You then need to add more calories for when you exercise because if you go below that number, you don't leave your body a good amount of calories to use in order to properly funtion and do what it needs to do.

Ok thanks. I used the one on here. Mine says 1800 calories...that is just nuts. No way would I eat 1800 a day LOL Ugh, this stuff can get frustrating LOL

This is where all the science comes in haha. The more you weigh, the more calories your body burns not only doing everyday things but also when you exercise. I'm a small girl and sometimes trying to get my 1880-2000 calories a day is tough. I shoot for small meals that pack a high but healthy caloric intake. For instance my breakfast is a slice of all natural whole wheat toast with all natural peanut butter, a banana on top and a glass of milk. Now it's only one tablespoon of peanut butter and it's non-fat milk but it still totals about 400 calories. 2 glasses of non-fat milk is 180 calories, add a snack of all natural whole grain chips and that's another 140 calories. You quickly learn to be creative but healthy in order to get the calories. If you can do protein shakes, that's another great way, they can pack 260 cals, add milk that's another 90, add some olive oil (you don't taste it) that's another 120 cals. If you feed your body the right amount of calories then it will respond in amazing ways. If you have trouble with the idea of 1800 cals a day and that's before adding in calories for exercising, then I wouldn't add more cardio at the moment as that would add more calories, or just stick to cardio right now instead of in addition to anything else.
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Just my two cents!

Matt

This is where all the science comes in haha. The more you weigh, the more calories your body burns not only doing everyday things but also when you exercise. I'm a small girl and sometimes trying to get my 1880-2000 calories a day is tough. I shoot for small meals that pack a high but healthy caloric intake. For instance my breakfast is a slice of all natural whole wheat toast with all natural peanut butter, a banana on top and a glass of milk. Now it's only one tablespoon of peanut butter and it's non-fat milk but it still totals about 400 calories. 2 glasses of non-fat milk is 180 calories, add a snack of all natural whole grain chips and that's another 140 calories. You quickly learn to be creative but healthy in order to get the calories. If you can do protein shakes, that's another great way, they can pack 260 cals, add milk that's another 90, add some olive oil (you don't taste it) that's another 120 cals. If you feed your body the right amount of calories then it will respond in amazing ways. If you have trouble with the idea of 1800 cals a day and that's before adding in calories for exercising, then I wouldn't add more cardio at the moment as that would add more calories, or just stick to cardio right now instead of in addition to anything else.

Thanks for all the help :) I get the food part...eating higher fiber...and smaller meals...but more often...I have that down pretty good. Like you said...its harder to add more cals of healthy food...more cals needed doesnt mean ANY type of calories LOL

Thanks again...I'll have to let all of you know what happens lol
  • Kat120285
    Options

Just my two cents!

Matt

Thanks for all the help :) I get the food part...eating higher fiber...and smaller meals...but more often...I have that down pretty good. Like you said...its harder to add more cals of healthy food...more cals needed doesnt mean ANY type of calories LOL

Thanks again...I'll have to let all of you know what happens lol

Anytime =], and I'm glad you understand the whole "not any type of calories" because some people would take it as , "oh I need more calories so I'll eat junk!" Clean eating can make it hard to get a lot of calories but there are plenty of healthy foods that pack a good calorie punch, such as the olive oil or avacados! Definitely keep us posted and good luck!!
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options

Just my two cents!

Matt

Women: BMR = 655 + (9.6 X wt in kg) + (1.8 X ht in cm) - (4.7 X age in years) Note: 1 inch = 2.54 centimeters 1 kilogram = 2.2 lbs.

This is what I used to figure it out for my wife about 2 weeks ago.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    bump
  • coronado22
    Options
    I was just wondering if when you join the site the calorie goal they give you after you put in your weight, height, goal, etc. was your BMR?
  • Kat120285
    Options
    I was just wondering if when you join the site the calorie goal they give you after you put in your weight, height, goal, etc. was your BMR?

Usually not. On some instances it's been close for people.
  • ebsmrtgrl
    Options
    I would think that is a little too low. I was exercising 3-5 times a week and cut my calories down to about 1300/day, and didn't really lose any weight. I was getting frustrated, but then I lost 4 lbs in a little less than 2 weeks when I exercised less and ate more calories :) That to me, was a pretty clear message that I needed to eat more. Since upping my calorie intake, I've actually lost more weight.