calories in pickles

Options
redwngs13
redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
I love pickles, but I have a hard time believing that they have 0 calories per serving. Even raw cucumbers have calories, let alone when you add all the pickling liquid! Any thoughts/comments on this?

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i don't know if i believe 0, but they are low as long as they're not sweet like gherkins or bread-n-butter. i just bought a jar of big dill pickles and they are 5 calories for a third or a pickle... so 15 for the whole thing.
  • snorstedt
    Options
    I would think the sodium in the pickles will cause fluid retention and an inacurate weight, my doctor told me i could munch on 2 pickles/day. I just sarted this journey this week and have eaten pickles and lost 2lbs.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think the pickling liquid includes vinegar (no calories) and brine(?), which means there is no calories added. I'm not sure about the cucumbers, though. Lately, I've noticed that they've added calories to dill pickles, but it's still pretty low. It would be hard to eat enough pickles to make those calories worth much.

Apart from the sodium, I think they're a pretty good thing to eat when you need to fill up a bit and can't afford the calories.
  • rockabillydarlin
    rockabillydarlin Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Funny you posted this, because I had a pickle today too lol. Mt. Olive Kosher Dills have 5 calories for 3/4 a spear. I know there's quite a bit of sodium because of all the salt in the brine, but I don't think it's an excessive amount.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I love pickles, but I have a hard time believing that they have 0 calories per serving. Even raw cucumbers have calories, let alone when you add all the pickling liquid! Any thoughts/comments on this?
    Calories are important to track but sodium is just as important. The amount of sodium in pickles when you take a look at how much one small dill pickle has in it might just blow your mind! :noway: :laugh:

390-500 mg. for a spear which is 20% of our daily quota for sodium. Yikes..hate that because I do like pickles but that's A LOT of sodium for a a couple bites of something.:cry:
  • kywildcat49
    Options
    I love pickles, too. The calories are extremely low but I agree with what everyone else is saying about the sodium being high. . I have found that the No Sugar added pickles are alot lower in sodium as well from the just regular pickles. I have only been on MFP for three days now and I have gone way over my sodium goals everyday.