I need help with protein powder recipe!!

ace175
ace175 Posts: 518 Member
edited September 25 in Recipes
So I bought some protein powder and I mixed it in with my almond milk....then I added a tbsp of cocoa powder so it was chocolate-y but the powder WILL NOT dissolve! It tastes sooo bitter! Any suggestions?!

Replies

• Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    What are you using to mix it? A blender should help.

Cocoa itself is bitter, so you may need to add some sort of sweetener.
  • ace175
    I just stirred it with a spoon lol
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Hmm, if you don't have a blender, maybe you could whisk it in a bowl?
  • tweety170
    tweety170 Posts: 167
    Yuck! Definitely blend it or at the very least, use a shaker cup. :) Also--try some other combinations. What flavor is the protein powder? I can offer some suggestions based on that.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    a blender is best but even a shaker cup made for these kind of drinks would be good.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    try a shaker or a blender...hope it helps
  • suger free hot chocolate works best. try a tsp of penut butter for taste
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    its a protein powder it dont taste good lol use a blender
  • ace175
    Yeah, tomorrow i'm going to try to blend it tomorrow, and just drink this because I don't want to let it go to waste. If I blend it, should I put ice in it?

tweety- it's vanilla
  • ace175
    its a protein powder it dont taste good lol use a blender

The protein dissolved, and I can't taste it, its just the damn cocoa powder! lol
  • McBoBo
    McBoBo Posts: 87
    maybe a whisk
  • JenWorthen3
    JenWorthen3 Posts: 64 Member
    If you really want it chocolately, I'd suggest getting the chocolate flavored one, or adding a touch of hershey's syrup to it. The cocoa powder does need something to help sweeten it (unless you're using like Nesquik or something). I have one of those shaker cup things that you can get through most health food stores that I mix mine it. Spoons never work for me. The shake still ends up a little too chunky for my taste. I use 8 oz soy milk to 1 scoop of powder. I use the Costco protein powder. If you really want to make a meal replacement shake out of it, try adding fruit or yogurt and some ice to it instead and mixing it in the blender. Then you're not adding tons of extra sugar to it.
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    I've got a bullet blender .It comes with travel mugs, which makes my breakfast shake portable. I do about a cup of frozen fruit - usually cherries or blueberries, a scoop of protein powder (chocolate is my personal fave), a teaspoon of instant coffee cause I like that mocha taste, a couple tablespoons of cocoa, and milk of some sort to the top. Whiz it up and it's breakfast. Vanilla is also good with cherries or peaches. Good luck!
  • ace175
    I wanted chocolate, but all they had was vanilla. I'm definitely going to shake it or blend it next time.
    Thanks for the ideas!!
  • TK266
    TK266 Posts: 3,638 Member
    with the vanilla, I like adding berries and banana. taste like milkshake (sort of) .
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    lol at that point, I'd chuck the cocoa and just use the chocolate almond milk. It's delicious!

But as for you, definately get a blender involved :)
  • writtenINthestars
    Oooohwhat brand is the powder? I mix my vanilla powder with vanilla almond milk, and it's delicious with 1/4 blueberries added....or if you find it's too bitter, try Agave nectar sometime...fantastic :)
  • writtenINthestars
    oh and if you don't use a blender for any other reason........and don't wanna buy one just for shakes...

Walmart. Hamilton Beach. Personal Blender with sippy lid-$15. Best thing I ever bought. I use to have the bullet blender as well but I think mine was possessed. :-/
  • ace175
    Oooohwhat brand is the powder? I mix my vanilla powder with vanilla almond milk, and it's delicious with 1/4 blueberries added....or if you find it's too bitter, try Agave nectar sometime...fantastic :)

It's publix greenwise (the grocery store's brand)... that sounds good with the blueberries! Thanks for the idea!
  • ace175
    lol at that point, I'd chuck the cocoa and just use the chocolate almond milk. It's delicious!

But as for you, definately get a blender involved :)

Oh I didn't know they made chocolate almond milk! I just bought the unsweetened type today...and just tried it for the first time with my little chocolate concoction haha And I just finished drinking it down
This discussion has been closed.