have issues with headaches???

Options
So I am prone to headahces unfortunately. If my hair is too tight I usually get a headach, if I wear headbands or someone pulls my hair, I get a headahce. You get the picture!!! Needless to say it is verry ANNOYING! Well I also get headaches from intense workouts. I been wanting to do the insanity workout but I am scared of the headaches I may have. Does anyone have this issue and if so what do you do about it. I drink a lot of water and try to stay hydrated during my workouts. My workouts right now mainly consists of walking on the treadmill or outside at 4mph for about 45 minutes to an our or so. These headaches really hinder me sometimes in the weight loss journey because if I had a headache during the day I know it will be a mistake to workout later that day! Please help if you have any suggestions/advice.

Replies

• quintter
    quintter Posts: 5
    Options
    I have found that drinking some coconut water really helps my headaches. Its the only thing I have found that works for me.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I have icky migraines. I usually use caffeine as a headache healer.
    I know its been said time and time again but really, 8 hours of solid sleep makes a huge difference for me.

Coconut water eh? Thanks for the tip.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    I suffer from migraines and I get them over nothing!! Like the weather was too hot or too cold..when I first started working out I would get one every time I did shoulders or ran more than 2 miles...everyone says, water, water, water baaaah I say lol
    Have you seen a chiropractor??? I used to get them 2-3 times a week and now I get one once a month!
    I swear by my chiro now, he changed my life!!
    Now dont get me wrong I still get them over nothing lol esp when it rains or I stay up too late, that will always just be me but less is better. Also every time I get one, I call my chiro and I go in and he works his magic and I dont have to take meds as often either!!
    Just a thought, good luck to you!!
  • beanie1119
    beanie1119 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions so far! I am just so fed up, granted that is not going to deter me from my goal. I am still going to truck along!
  • msseusse
    msseusse Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Try getting a massage in addition to seeing a chiropractor. I also just started taking a powdered magnesium to help relax the muscle tension.
  • lisaidem
    lisaidem Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency to get headaches for stupid reasons too---especially changes in pressure when the weather changes. So weird...

I mentioned this to my Gynecologist, and she actually prescribed me a birth control that she said would help with that. I have less migraines now!
  • nikhelbig
    Options
    I do cardio with migraine. If you are able to "zone-off" during the exercise , you actually forget the pain.

The other thing is "heat" plaster. The stuff you put on sore muscles. They should contain 'capscaicin" an extract of chillies and natural pain reliever. There are also those that contain paracetamol, which is a relief for headaches. This I plaster the back of the neck .

The other thing u can do for migraine is self hypnosis.It can be very effective. But that takes practice: in a relaxed position take deep breaths, eyes closed and count to backwards from 30... imagine the pain as a red wheel turning clockwise... then imagine this wheel turinng anticlockwise and turning dull green...
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I get migraines and used to ALWAYS get a migraine when I exercised. For a long time my solution was to exercise in the evening, then a warm shower and ibuprofen, and then bed to sleep it off.

But this spring I started a pretty intense cardio regimen (hiit on the elliptical), and after the first month I found that I had pretty much stopped getting exertion headaches. My heart rate is lower and I get out of breath much less often, so my theory is that my headaches might have been caused by lack of oxygen (due to really poor cardiovascular health).

I did have a lot of headaches during that first month, but the weather was so crummy that I was able to convince myself that they were weather-related. :-)