Need help! What to eat while I'm away!

Options
dodier01
dodier01 Posts: 84 Member
I am leaving tomorrow for 6 days.. From tomorrow until Sunday I'm going to a hockey tournament and going up with the guys.. I've been stressing out all week trying to figure how I will continue this weight loss process by hanging out with the guys all weekend. (they will be eating ****ty and drinkin beer all the time) We will be staying in a hotel therefore eating out 3 times a day or eating at the arena. I will bring my water bottle, apples, protein bars, almonds in order to have healthy snacks with me but what else can I bring?

Then on Sunday it continues I am going directly from the tournament to the hotel for work until Wednesday night what will I do then? hopefully there will be a grovery store near the hotel for work.. That way I can get small groceries..

Does anyone have any tips to being successful while away and eating out all the time?

Replies

• eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    portion control is one of the biggest things when I'm eating out. Only eat about 1/2 of your meal and you should still have a decent sized portion.
  • goldysgal
    goldysgal Posts: 23
    Options
    I'd say the most important thing is to watch your portion sizes.... and don't forget to enjoy your trip !!!
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Order things like grilled chicken or a good steak and veggies....if you get a burger, hold the bun, salads w/ dressing on side. stay away from dinner rolls, etc. If you drink, stick to light beer. Breakfast, order egg whites or egg substitute, whole wheat toast. Lunches, turkey on whole wheat or a wrap with mustard or avocado instead of mayo. Depends where you go, there are usually diet options at most places! Good luck and have fun!
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Ask the hotel for a mini fridge. There might be a surcharge for it though. Then go hit up the grocery store to give yourself some food stability. Oftentimes, when I'm travelling I don't have a car... I take cabs to the grocery.

Now, while eating off the menu at the hotel and at restaurants. Breakfast: Egg white omelets are yummy and protein laden. If you're not an egg white fan, go for a fruit bowl and a yogurt. Both pretty safe. Avoid the bagels!!

Lunch and dinner. Go for steamed veggies -- tell the waitress that you want your veggies steamed with no butter/seasoning. You'll be surprised how willing the kitchen will be to comply. Chicken and seafood are always a good ordering option. Go for grilled or roasted. No fried anything. If you're getting a salad, ask for the dressing on the side -- that way you'll be able to control the quantity. My fav lunch while travelling is Caeser salad with grilled chicken -- dressing on the side. What this really means is bed of lettuce with sliced grilled chicken and about 1 tablespoon of parmesan on top. I remove the croutons -- I think they're a waste of calories. If you want desert, fruit cups are great OR ask for a children's size scoop of ice cream.

What's really funny, is that by the end of my business trips, EVERYONE that I'm meeting with start to order the same way as me. Last meeting I went to, everyone was eating salads with dressing on the side by the second day. <lol>

As to going out for beers with the guys, I'm sorry but I can't help you there other than to suggest light beer in moderation. I'm not much of a drinker, so I always just order club soda with lime. My associates think I'm drinking vodka tonic or something like that.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Before you order in restaurants you can find out the calories online in the database here or
    the restaurant's site and you can make a good choice before ordering. Buying some groceries
    while on the trip is a good idea. You sound pretty determined to stick to your diet so you'll be fine.
    Enjoy your trip.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    aflane really hit the nail on the head, so I won't repeat what she said. I'll just add that you have to be ready to resist peer pressure. That's the biggest thing i have trouble with when I go out - be ready to cheerfully blow it off if people taunt you for eating healthy. Sounds mean I know, but it happens to me. (Ironically, from a skinny frenemy. My overweight friends are the supportive ones.) Just smile and do what you know is good for you.

And take your work out clothes even if the hotel doesn't have a workout room. (If it does then bonus!) Having your sneakers and sports clothes available will let you go out for a quick walk. Go mall walking if that will keep you more interested. You can hike the stairwells if you don't want to go outside in a strange city. You can do crunches, push ups, and leg lifts on the floor in your bedroom. Balance the food with exercise and log everything so you know where you stand when you get back. And drink water!

Oh, and have a great time! Don't let diet stress ruin a fun trip. :)
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    You'll probably have a mini bar in the room so take advantage of it to store the following foods - or take a small cooler with ice packs that can be made cold again when stored in the fridge:

chopped veggies (I often dip my veggies in peanut butter when I have nothing else - quite tasty!)
    hummus & other bean dips
    peanut butter (unless it's not all natural, then you don't need a fridge to store it in)
    whole wheat wraps
    alfalfa sprouts
    wasa multigrain crisps (or something similar)
    loaf of multigrain or whole wheat bread (add half a banana and make open face peanut butter sandwich)
    canned mixed bean salad (and a can opener!)
    healthy instant cup of soups (that if you have access to hot water you can mix into)

On that note, if you can get access to a cup of hot water, take some quick cooking oats and add to the cup of hot water - although not as good as slow cooking oats, they're better than fries, burgers, hot dogs and other greasy fast foods! Take some honey, or individual brown sugar packs, or sweetener that you like if that's how you normally eat it.

Too, grab yourself some instant vega smoothie packs (individual packages) that can be easily mixed without a blender into water or juice.

Too, not sure where the hockey tournament is going to be held, but my local arena serves meatless chili-con-carne, which is a healthy alternative - if the place where you go serves it.

If the hotel has a restaurant, lots & lots of salads!

Don't forget many fast food restaurants such as McDonald's & Wendy's have green leafy salads - just forgo the dressings as most are high in fat, sugar and calories. In fact, take your own salad dressing and store it in the mini-fridge or your cooler.

Do you have a Mr. Sub, Subway Sub or other sub joint where you're going? If yes, order half a veggie sub on multigrain or whole wheat bread. Forgo the mayo but take the cheese (if you eat cheese). Mr. Sub and Subway sub also serve salads.

Do you have a Tim Horton's where you're going? You could order one chicken wrap snacker on whole wheat and forgo the sauce to reduce sodium, fat and calories.

Just some ideas to get you going.