MFP is yelling at me.

Options
I feel like I've been eating ALL day and I'm still five hundred calories under my goal. I finished my logging and MFP is telling me I'm going to go into starvation mode because I'm eating too few calories. Do I need to go cram some in to finish off the day with more calories or just let it go?

Replies

• Jacks6688
    Jacks6688 Posts: 19
    Options
    same here...it's 10:30 pm and i'm already in bed...not hungry at all. am i supposed to go fix something to eat?? everyone is always warning about this starvation mode and that seems to always be the case.
  • kayelkay
    kayelkay Posts: 40
    Options
    I think you should just listen to your body. If you're not hungry, don't eat.
  • Mkserpa
    Mkserpa Posts: 136
    Options
    I agree - if you're not hungry, don't eat. That's how you gain weight. Your body knows what is best - listen to it.
  • brenda_71
    brenda_71 Posts: 151
    Options
    It's too late to be eating anyways!!
  • Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend who has already lost almost 50 lbs with MFP encourages me to have a glass of orange juice or something like that to make up my calories if I'm under.
  • neuroticalme
    neuroticalme Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You're not going to go into "starvation mode" over one day. Or a few days. MFP is a computer program, and not a substitute for you listening to your body.
    What the creator of the program obviously doesn't want is people constantly competing with themselves to go far under their needed calories and then killing themselves. If that's not what you're doing, I'd say you're A-OK. :P
  • InStabilityKills
    Options
    It yells at me to. Most days I'm sitting between 1000-1400 calories. It says I will gain weight at this rate..I don't understand! I eat healthy all day. One high calorie meal and a bunch smaller through out the day yettttt it still says in 5 weeks I will have gained more weight. I don't think it knows what it is talking about.
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Let it go. : )
  • kelseybee17
    Options
    I've been having the same problem. If I'm dreadfully below, then I'll eat something. But if I have only 100-200 calories below, I don't really worry about it.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You need to eat in order to keep your metabolism up. If you don't eat, you will go into starvation mode. You body isnt telling you that you are hungry because it is in survival mode. I wasn't eating enough and I stopped losing weight for 6 weeks....I thought that I was doing everything right...but I wasnt eating enough. I increased my calories started dropping weight again.
  • neuroticalme
    neuroticalme Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You'll also note that MFP won't "yell" at you if you go over. Again, social responsibility; no need to create a program to make people depressed if they happened to be extra hungry or indulgent on a particular day. Or week. :P
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It's too late to be eating anyways!!

No it is not too late to eat.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I can relate...I've been a lot of raw high fiber vegies and more protein (and less junk!) the past few days which really fills me up... so I am feeling satisfied and not hungry after meals, and yet I have been ending the day with anywhere from 300-600 extra calories due to exercise...I figure I'll eat a little something but not all 500 calories...that's like another meal and I just don't need that.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I find it silly that it yells at us if we are under 1200 cals but it doesn't yell at us when we are under NET 1200 calories. If you burned 1000 calories and ate 1100 you only have 100 net - now that may lead to starvation mode over time.
  • needa1
    needa1 Posts: 8
    Options
    You should try and finish all meals 3 hours before you get in the bed, however you do not want to go to bed hungry, try something like fruits, or veggies if you get hungry late at night, and a protein shake is always good to.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Girl, I'm under most of the time and my body isn't in starvation mode. I steadily losing weight and i eat like every 3hrs. Between that and drink like 10 glasses of water a day, i'm not gonna force myself to eat and i'm not hungry! You're doing just fine, 18 lbs later. :smile:
  • melpalmer7
    Options
    that's totally weird. I had the same thing happen to me today too, and I was almost 400 below but it's because I ate really well all day and then went for a walk/jog after work. I am defintely not hungry and even the glass of wine I'm having isn't going to do too much :)

The problem is what to do when you get to the end of the day and you're way under on a regular basis (not just a day here and there) ?
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Nobody is going to gain weight in starvation mode. If that were true, anorexics wouldn't be so skinny. Just make sure you are giving your body adequate nutrition and that the 1000 calories you do eat are coming from protein and veggies, not carbs or high-glycemic index foods. I suggest taking supplements to make sure your body is getting what it needs, because some deficiencies can be very dangerous.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I don't think you should ever force yourself to eat, but you should try to eat as much as you can within your calorie limit. Tomorrow try to add some extra healthy calories to your meals. I've lost 70 lbs, and let me tell you I definitely eat.

Except for today, I haven't eaten much and what I did get down was crap, but I don't feel well at all so I don't care.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    lol...eat a piece of cake and call it a night.