B Complex and Insomnia

Options
ucaminax
ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
Hi Everyone,

I have usually been a night owl-staying up too late and only getting usually less than 8 hrs sleep. Well recently I started trying to go to bed early, and getting 8 hours. Now I have bad insomnia, and wake up a lot during the night. I am wondering if it is my B complex? Anyone else have this experience? I usually take a costco multi in the am, along with a concentrated fish oil, a Vit D, and a CoQ 10. In the evening I take another fish oil, D, and the B complex.

I would love to get some goodf sleep! I'd better get to bed... ;-)
Thanks,
Kate

Replies

• garimachandra
    Options
    Hi,
    try drinking warm water in the nite before going to bed.My hubby drinks cafeeine free tea in the nite and he says its really good.
  • Bexster88
    Bexster88 Posts: 35
    Options
    It definitely could be. I take a B complex in the morning to give me energy because I never get enough sleep as a college student with work and projects all the time. Maybe try switching it and taking it in the morning instead and see what happens.
  • Vkjanuary
    Options
    I wouldn't do the B complex before bedtime. Try adding a calcium magnesium type of combo and that should help with sleep. I am an Herbalist and own a shop here in TX. You can check out my website for some quality herbal supplements and even some safe weight management products and I have had great success with. www.mynsp.com/januarysherbs We are on FB too. Januay's Herbs and Wellness Good luck to ya!
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    OMG girl, you hit the nail on the head, today i took a B complex after the gym workout and lastnite b4 work i could not sleep even though i was exhausted. Now i know not to do this again.
  • barbacasec
    barbacasec Posts: 106
    Options
    I would switch the B complex to the Am.
    I also take melatonin at night time. the lowest dosage they sell. It helps me sleep and stay asleep and it is a naturally occuring substance that your body produces.. not like a tylenol PM or simply sleep etc.... My body doesn't produce enough so with the little extra I take right before bed I am able to fall asleep and for the most part stay asleep- and you aren't "knocked" out and you dont get the "hangover" feeling in the am like the rest of the sleep aids....just my opinion. you can get it over the counter at any pharmacy and it isnt' very expensive... I usually take it for 2 weeks until my body absorbs it and then take a week or two off until I have trouble sleeping again.... I am not a Dr but this seems to work for me and my Dr said it was ok :)
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

Thanks for all of the responses and suggestions. So yesterday, I cut out the B-Complex, just took the multi in the am, and last night I slept really well! It has also been that time of the month for me-maybe AF was messing w/my sleep too. I'm planning on going without the B-Complex for a week or two, paying attention to my sleep patterns, then possibly adding it back. I'll let you know the results of my experiment!

BTW, concerning the Cal/Mag supplement-I was recently taking a magnesium supplement, but lately it was having too much of a laxative effect on me. I also read that B complexes can be laxative, too. So I cut out the magnesium as well. Just trying toeat really healthy and take a multi, D, and CoQ10. I have been more regular since not taking the magnesium. It didn't used to have such a big effect on me. I'm starting to realize even vitamins might be too much for our body to handle, since the usually come in such high concentrations, unlike vitamins in food. Maybe the cal/mag supplement would work better, since calcium is binding. I'll check it out.

Thanks Again,
    Kate