Iron rich food? Suggestions please.

Options
Post Grape Nuts has lots of iron. I've eaten it a few times over the course of the past two weeks and realized that the iron might be the key that helped make my exercises much easier lately. I haven't had grape nuts in a long, long time.

So, if that is true, that the increase of iron might be helping my body accomplish more (helps carry oxygen from my blood to my cells), I would like to schedule 2 days in a week for me to enjoy something iron rich...and I don't want to get burned out on eating grape nuts.

If you have suggestions for iron rich or iron enriched foods, please post. Thanks!

Replies

• merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Red meat!
  • Vkjanuary
    Options
    Dark greens.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    To promote iron absorption consume iron rich foods with foods rich in vitamin C and avoid consuming caffeinated beverages, alcohol, and calcium supplements with iron rich meals.

That said, iron rich foods include cooked or sprouted beans and lentils, tofu, maca, blackstrap molasses, pumpkin seeds, sprouted whole grains, beets and their juices, dried organic peaches, prune juice dates, curry powders, watercress, dandelion, parsley, kale, mustard greens, broccoli, bok choy, carrots, asparagus, nettle leaves, alfalfa, spirulina, and red raspberry leaves.
  • ScrewtheCause
    ScrewtheCause Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to look at foods that are absorption Inhibitors if you are looking for ways to get a healthy amount of iron in your diet.
  • sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Most cereals are iron-enriched. You can get 33% of your daily iron needs just from a bowl of Cheerios. So feel free to mix it up with the cereals, either as breakfast or a post-workout snack.

Vegetables with a red/orange colour are also fairly high in iron (for vegetables) - so incorporate more squash, sweet potato, red pepper, etc.

Finally, beans and legumes appear to be a decent source as well. Chickpeas, lentils, baked beans, soybeans, etc.