MFP Biking Group-7/14/2008

Options

Replies

• Glammy
    Glammy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie. I have no idea how far I go, but I'm riding my bike (a freebie from a friend) 3 days a week for 30 minutes each outing, at a moderate pace (9-12 mph I'm guessing).
    Any tips for me?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie. I have no idea how far I go, but I'm riding my bike (a freebie from a friend) 3 days a week for 30 minutes each outing, at a moderate pace (9-12 mph I'm guessing).
    Any tips for me?

Keep at it! Gradually increase your distance if you can and have time. You can go to mapmyride.com and use the tool there to map the route you're riding and find out how far you're riding.
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Monday - 12 miles & walked/ran 6 miles
    Tuesday - 13.1 miles & walked 2.5 miles
    Weds - 11 miles (going back later this evening with hubby and another couple)
  • bsktsembears
    Options
    Hi, I usually don't read these message boards but this one interested me. I'm new to this myfitnesspal and really like this site. What is a Century ride? I ride for enjoyment and excercise and for hope that it might help me lose weight (although it doesn't seem to help me lose weight). Last week I rode a 100 miles in 6 days. Is that a century or is it 100 miles in one day? I ride a recumbant bike most often. It's so comfortable. I've often thought of joining a biking group with my husband who also likes riding. Do any of you belong to biking groups? And are they good?
  • shorerider
    Options
    Hi, I usually don't read these message boards but this one interested me. I'm new to this myfitnesspal and really like this site. What is a Century ride? I ride for enjoyment and excercise and for hope that it might help me lose weight (although it doesn't seem to help me lose weight). Last week I rode a 100 miles in 6 days. Is that a century or is it 100 miles in one day? I ride a recumbant bike most often. It's so comfortable. I've often thought of joining a biking group with my husband who also likes riding. Do any of you belong to biking groups? And are they good?

A Century in a 100 miles in one ride--so while 100 miles in 6 days is great, it's not truly a "Century"

I don't belong to any groups for a couple reasons--I'm in a very rural area and there's not any that I know of around here and, I'm not fast enough right now to keep up with a good group. Plus, I like riding by myself really. It's a quiet time for me.

Hope you'll join our Biking Group!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Big fat 0 yesterday :( Spent all evening at my parents house while picking up my car. On the upside, I now have a working convertible again!

Going on a 10 mile ride when I get home to get some groceries to fill up part of the 35 mile goal. I figure if I make that, and then get a 20 mile trail ride in on saturday I should be golden.
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    I ride with my hubby. tonight we are riding with another couple. Not sure what I think of that, but I will let you know. I tend to like to ride alone or with hubby. Big groups of bikes just sort of freak me out.

We are doing a group ride/race in Sept to raise money for Parkinsons disease. The guy we are riding with tonight has Parkinsons and is the president of the local bike club here so the club put this ride together to raise money for research etc. It will be my first big ride with a group.
  • Newman4AU
    Newman4AU Posts: 35
    Options
    Are you intersested in selling your road bike?
    I am looking to upgrade- but having trouble turning loose the wallet!
    Thanks!
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Monday - 12 miles & walked/ran 6 miles
    Tuesday - 13.1 miles & walked 2.5 miles
    Weds - 24 miles & walked 2 miles
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    Glammy: many people measure their ride in time, not miled. That's fine. Like shorerider said, keep increasing your time. Just a little, no more than 15% each week. Remember to take a break after 3 weeks. Work on increasing frequency ( how often you ride per week). I started in March riding 4 miles = 15 minute. Now I am at 50 miles. Not that you nhave to go that far. From an exercise standpoint any exercise is good. If you can get a ride of at least one hour in or maybe a little more every week that would be ideal.
  • stschulz
    Options
    bsktsembears: I ride a recumbent myself and chat a lot with the people in the online forum of the company that produces the bike. A reallynice group. Also, chek your local listings or Internet and try it. It all depends on the group and how much you like group rides. I ride alone usually, but I enjoy a ride with the local bike cub every once in a while. The bike club here is very very nice. They have rides for really everybody. Some bicycle clubs are just for racers, so you have to check what their agenda is.
    I find it motivating every once in a while to ride with a group. I choose rides at a pace where I can still talk with people while I am riding. Usually around 25 - 30 miles. Makes the time go by fast and you rode the distance in no time. I also find that I usually ride fatser in a group:embarassed: .

What kind of recumbent do you ride?
  • stschulz
    Options
    Thanks!

Never thought about that. I would not know what to ask and how to ship it:embarassed:
  • shorerider
    Options
    Wer ist dieses Wunderkind?

Das ist Steff! Ja?
  • ohthatbambi
    Options
    Thanks!

Never thought about that. I would not know what to ask and how to ship it:embarassed:

The person who asked you is my hubby! I was shocked to see he actually posted on here at all. We both recently purchased Trek hybrids...same bike, different sizes. He has the itch for a road bike. My take on it is if we are still riding like we are now this time next year then we'll get road bikes.
  • Glammy
    Glammy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Glammy: many people measure their ride in time, not miled. That's fine. Like shorerider said, keep increasing your time. Just a little, no more than 15% each week. Remember to take a break after 3 weeks. Work on increasing frequency ( how often you ride per week). I started in March riding 4 miles = 15 minute. Now I am at 50 miles. Not that you nhave to go that far. From an exercise standpoint any exercise is good. If you can get a ride of at least one hour in or maybe a little more every week that would be ideal.

Thanks! I'm rotating walking and riding (my bum has to get use to riding so much!) I like a 30 minute ride because that feels like a good work out to me, and I'm usually crunched for time. Maybe I'll ride 45-60 minutes on the weekends.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Steff--

Finally got around to measuring my inseam--it's 24" and I'm 64" tall--told you, short with short little legs! :tongue:

Not sure a 56" frame would fit--my hubby is 62" tall and I know I can't begin to fit on his bike and you're only 3" shorter than him, so not sure a bike that fit you would fit me.
  • stschulz
    Options
    shorerider :I'm afraid with a 24" inseam it won't fit:frown:

And yes, the "Wunderkind" is me. Surprised you know that word!

Bamboo: I really have no idea what to do with that bike, it is just sitting here and collecting dust.
  • shorerider
    Options
    shorerider :I'm afraid with a 24" inseam it won't fit:frown:

And yes, the "Wunderkind" is me. Surprised you know that word!

Bamboo: I really have no idea what to do with that bike, it is just sitting here and collecting dust.

Sure--we do have "kindergarten" in this country, remember? If that's not German, than I don't know what is!

thanks for the bike offer anyway--when I ride your height, I figured it wouldn't fit. When I do go to buy a road bike, I'm going to be looking at a women's frame, probably small. I did find out that they make them even in extra-small but I think a small will fit.
  • shorerider
    Options
    Ok, gang--I'm going for it!

Tomorrow is supposed to be not too hot, very light winds, and humidity is supposed to be at least bearable, so I've got a 50 mile route all mapped out and ready to go pedaling bright and early tomorrow!

Really hoping I'll make it!!
  • stschulz
    Options
    Of course you'll make it shorerider! Takre a short break every once a while. Take some food with you too! It's a long ride.

Good luck and have fun!

Tailwinds