sodium levels

Options
Was wondering what the deal was on sodium...is it bad for you? how much should i be having? what is a good amount in an average meal to have? the most ive heard about it is its not a good thing...thoughts?

Replies

• gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    USDA recommends 2,500 right now, but they want to change it to 1,500. You need sodium for your body to function, but many canned and processed foods contain way too much. Too much sodium causes you to retain fluids and makes you feel bloated and miserable. I feel my best when I aim for 1,500 to 1,800 per day, but you need to figure out what works best for you.

Some of the foods you might think are healthy choices can be loaded with sodium... examples include canned soups, cheese and veggies. Often when fat or sugar is reduced in a product, sodium is increased for flavor.

Also, the government is working on requiring food processors to lower their sodium, because they think there is a link between too much sodium and obesity.
  • Seesaa
    Seesaa Posts: 451
    Options
    you can track your sodium intake on here. If you have to much you retain water and it is bad for your heart health and blood pressure if you constantly have to much. A bit counter productive if you want to have a healthy life style, but watching your sodium is no easy thing if you have to eat out...or live on pre packaged food trust me I've been working on it since I started this journey.
  • 33nessy
    33nessy Posts: 104
    Options
    ok so how do i show my "sodium levels" on my food page?
  • jksn2nlove
    Options
    ok so how do i show my "sodium levels" on my food page?

Go up top to "My Home", then "Settings" then 'Diary Settings"