cholesterol and triglycerides

Options
my cholesterol w/a range of 140-220 was 192
triglycerides range 10-190 was 49

I read you could practically drink extra virgin olive oil! We use a lot of it! In fact lately, I've used it in place of mayo! Smother my focaccia bread with it along with mashed avocado on my warm panini! :D Hadn't boughten salmon because my hubby doesn't like it but just recently bought some and bam, it's awesome!!! Yes, I do eat well. Been following the Mediterranean Diet, healthiest in all of the world(fact)...so, how do your levels look? Are you taking care of yourself? I hope so, because this is the only body you're gonna get!

This is for those low fat processed food goodies that are out there...I used to be one of you! I lost a lot of weight, but I wasn't healthy! I think these scores show how healthy I am!!! :D

Replies

• mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    My Chol and tri's were both high. I lost fifty pounds and had a blood test and both
    were in the normal range. It isn't always that way. Some thin folk have high
    levels, but people with normal levels can have them rise when they gain
    excess weight and they'll drop again after a weight loss..

Olive Oil is good, but once I came here and started tracking my calories I was
    shocked at how many calories are in a little tiny teaspoon of olive oil.

I used to just pour straight from the bottle, but wow. A big ol' slab of foccacia
    bread dipped in olive oil and it just may be the case that the olive oil you've
    dipped has more calories than the whole piece of bread.

Olive oil is not bad for you, it is probably good for you. Daily even. But in moderation
    if you are overweight.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    well sure you can lose weight eating twinkies all day, as long as you are under your calorie levels. does that mean you'll be healthy..no.

too much fat period is bad, whether it comes from 'good' sources or bad. and actually your cholesterol is getting up there. just because its 'in the limit' doesnt mean you are healthy. fact..people who are overweight have higher incidences of heart disease, diabetes etc.

so simply saying you drink olive oil is the reason you consider yourself healthy is pointless. you are trying to tell people its ok to be overweight (as far as health goes). its not. you may be fine now, but it'll catch up with you.

and please, people can argue that asian diets are the most healthy, or vegan or whatever. but if you eat healthy overall you'll be healthy. and fat/cholesterol numbers arent the only idicators of health.

anyways..what was the point of even posting this? to show off how healthy you think you are?
  • Robin66
    Robin66 Posts: 103
    Options
    My cholesterol is 129, triglycerides 76 and my hdl cholesterol (the good cholesterol) is 63, thatt's considered a negative risk factor for heart disease.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    The cholesterol score is total score which here in Mexico, they didn't break it down for me. So, it could be high in good cholesterol. 2 doctors were very impressed with my scores, the endocrinologist being married to a top cardiologist, so i couldn't judge that that score is "getting up there." Um, big difference from twinkie fat and good fat...sorry. Most of the time I don't even count the brushed on olive oil over the focaccia bread. It may be 1/2-1 tsp and that's only once a day. Lately I haven't even used it. But I do for my family :D My food is weighed and I am counting calories, normally under 2000, except for splurges, typical average is 1500. I'm w/in a healthy weight range. NO, i'm not telling people to be fat, haha People are not well informed about how the healthy fats can help them reduce.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I was borderline high on both when I was in my early 20s and in college. It took the nurse telling me that I had the cholesterol of a 50 year old to take action!

I've found that when I don't exercise or watch what I eat, I'm high. However, when I monitor both, they drop down to the normal range.

Shannon
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    Total cholesterol: Desirable blood levels for total cholesterol are below 200 mg/dL. Levels between 200 and 239 are considered "borderline." Levels above 240 are considered "high."

Being I tested as 192, I certainly wouldn't say I was "high." Doesn't appear that the Mexican range really matters...being that it's a "range" and mine is 192. Can't change that, right?

I do regularly exercise and eat exceptionally well. No processed food, w/an exception of dark chocolate and an occasional Costco frozen yogurt treat, maybe 2 a month. I make all of our food.
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Not to throw too much chaos into this but: using statistics extra weigh clearly
    correlates to increased health problems and lower life expectancy.

Total Cholesterol numbers don't have such a direct conclusion. I am
    not a conspiracy theorist, but there are good hard science type of folks
    who are questioning and reevaluation ways to predict cardiovascular
    disease...and total cholesterol number aren't seeming to hold up
    as an indicator when closely scrutinized.