Question about carbs vs. calorie count in foods

Options
Hi everyone!

Quick question: how come certain foods/drinks (ie. low calorie vitamin waters) have a calorie count of say 15cal per serving, but then list 16g carbs? How is that possible? I thought 1g carb = 4cal. Is the body actually able to use the carbs?

I was just wondering because I try to keep my carb count proportionate to the amount of exercise I do. I find otherwise I drop weight, but not bodyfat. I absolutely love my sugar free aloe juice, and the calories are really low, but it seems to have a lot more carbs than makes sense for the calorie count.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys! =)

Replies

• EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's high in fibre. I don't think labels count fibre because it's not digested.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    probably counting sugars as carbs
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    no it doesnt make any sense.
    it cant have 15g carbs, and 16 cal's. lol. not possible. Thats 64cals...as you know.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Even if it's sugar (although it claims sugar free but I'd believe you over any food industry BS any day) how are the cals so low?
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Not possible! I'd complain as it is false information! Report it to consumer relations!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Most foods that are classified as "sugar free", but are sweet, contain some sort of artificial sweetener. These can have carbs but not "sugars".

Sugar alcohols are counted as carbs on nutrition labels. Fiber is also counted as a carb. Neither of these will have any calories. The fiber, sugar and sugar alcohol count should be listed beneath the total carb count on the nutrition label (sugar alcohol amount won't usually be there if there are none). If you subtract the fiber and sugar alcohol amounts from the total carbs, you'll get the net carb count. The net carbs are what impacts your body, and more importantly your blood glucose level, and contains the calories.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    Thanks sfoust66, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out! I limit these drinks, they're not a normal thing but more of my go to when I have an intense bubble tea craving I can't kick, so I'm not too worried about the chemicals. Just want to know whether I need to count it as part of my carb intake. Thanks a ton!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Thanks sfoust66, that's exactly what I was trying to figure out! I limit these drinks, they're not a normal thing but more of my go to when I have an intense bubble tea craving I can't kick, so I'm not too worried about the chemicals. Just want to know whether I need to count it as part of my carb intake. Thanks a ton!

I wasn't bashing artificial sweeteners, I drink Diet Coke myself, so I'm certainly not going to judge others in that respect. :smile: I was just pointing out that the sweetness doesn't come from regular sugar so it can throw the carb counts off.
  • Tigerfish62
    Options
    I think you should count one or the other. Keep in mind a calorie is a calorie. Some last longer in our bodies than others. Carbs don't keep blood sugar stable as long as protens and fiber.
  • britt_fit
    britt_fit Posts: 169
    Options