Trouble eating all the desired calories

Options
I am having trouble consuming enough calories to compensate for the exercises I am doing. Any advice?

I ride a road bike almost everyday:12-20 miles a day right now
I do a body weight training 4 times a week for about 20 mins
I also run about 8-10 miles a week
I am also on my feet pretty much all day

Replies

• sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Eat calorie dense foods.. Peanut butter, avocado, vegetable oil, almonds/nuts. They aren't huge things but are high calories and good for you. Adding high calorie dense foods to each meal will help you reach your calorie goal for the day!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I would not want to eat that many calories either---thats a lot of calories in my opinion, no matter how much exercise you do. The way I look at is like this---all those people on biggest loser.....they work out hard, too, but do you think they eat all their calories?

You have two choices---either cut back on exercise or don't worry about consuming all those extra calories. I never eat my exercise calories, but I don't overdo it on exercise either. I never burn more than 400 calories---I use a HRM so I know this is accurate. I have a consistent weight loss--so I am happy.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eat calorie dense foods.. Peanut butter, avocado, vegetable oil, almonds/nuts. They aren't huge things but are high calories and good for you. Adding high calorie dense foods to each meal will help you reach your calorie goal for the day!

DItto,

You can also have a glass of juice in place of a glass of water (easy 150 cals), you can switch from "lite" and "diet" foods to the full fat/calorie versions of things such as cheese, milk, yogurt, salad dressing etc.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Ditto. Getting enough fuel in your body for those kind of workouts is very, very important. If you don't it can end up hurting you down the road.
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    for the past 3 days, I have been under my desired calories, not by choice...last night, I snacked on 2 slices of quinoa bread (170 calories)...today Ive already added a 12 oz of OJ ( 170 calories)...tomorrow I will do Apple cider instead....
  • delstrons
    Options
    You can also add chocolate milk to your diet. It is is best if consumed after a workout, within the hour.

I've struggled with the same problem for a long time. Make sure to monitor your weight and introduce peanut butter and jelly sandwitches if you start loosing weight. I once spent 3 months without checking and by the time I realized I was at 135lb (I am 5'10"). I was doing 200 miles a week on the bike and 30 min of weights 5 times a week. It was nice to climb hills on that weight though!