Running and keeping your mind busy.

Options
So I admittedly need yoga or some sort of help with my busy mind, but I'm wondering what some of you do to help with relaxing while running. I am working on training for a 10K now, but sometimes the run just seems excruciatingly long when it's anything past 4 miles. I know that it's really not long at all, but I can't stand to watch TV while running, my mind just won't focus. I begin thinking about my day, the person running next to me, the reflections of others in the mirror, my day at work, blah blah blah. I listen to music that I like too, which helps some, but it doesn't shut my head off so I end up staring at the screen wondering how much longer, which of course makes time drag.

So wondering what you guys do or think of while running? When I'm outside, it's not quite as bad. I also try to get by a window in case there's anything interesting to look at outside if I'm on the treadmill. It's certainly a personal issue for me since I am so busy all the time between work, kids, my school, and a part-time job, that I think I've forgotten how to relax. I can't even lie outside to tan without getting restless. I read a trashy novel to help me shut down to sleep too.

Any thoughts? I want to try for a 1/2 marathon at some point but I'm not sure I can stand that much alone time with myself ;)

Replies

• JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    What about downloading some audiobooks???
  • missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209
    Options
    hi, i only ever run outside and try and take different routes to keep it from getting boring along with my ipod which keeps me going:smile:
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate, except I can't do a longer run on the treadmill. That can't keep me entertained more then 20 minutes! I'm not one to run with music, but I found a training podcast that has some good upbeat music without words. I find that word-less music keeps my mind busy. But for the most part, I usually run with a partner and then the miles just fly by. Do you have a running group in your area? When I run with a partner, even if they have music in their ears, I get so in tune with them that the miles slip by effortlessly.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    It definitely helps to run outside but I always pray while I run. It really helps me. :)
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options

what a great idea !!
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    This is a really good idea
  • voom1396
    voom1396 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I rarely run on a treadmill for that same reason. It is a lot better outside, like you said. Are there any running groups in your area or friends that you can try to train with? We have a group of about 6 girls who run together on Saturdays. Even when someone can't make it, you are never alone. Talking or just running (if you are winded, like I sometimes am) with someone makes it go a lot faster. During the week, I have one running partner that I can count on to keep me company. Good luck with your training!
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Running on the dreadmill is torture for me. But I still do it. I've tried watching tv and listening to music. It's just not the same as when I run outside.

The one thing that I've started focusing on while running on my treadmill is being more competitive with myself. I try to challenge myself to do intervals, even on long runs.

The most I've ran on the treadmill is 3 miles so far. I am getting ready to go up to 4 though....IF I don't get super bored. haha
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I think about anything and everything when im on the treadmill
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts? I want to try for a 1/2 marathon at some point but I'm not sure I can stand that much alone time with myself ;)

If you struggle with it that much, then maybe it's something you should make an effort to develop, rather than trying to find new distractions.
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I agree with the audio-books suggestion. That's what I do. And I feel like I'm multitasking---reading and running at the same time. Now that's skill. ^.^
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I have to run outside for anything longer than 3 miles, and then I just kind of let my brain go numb, but I do notice that when I get bored there are a couple things I do.

Long division. Because I am THAT much of a nerd.

I focus on 'moving' around my aches and stiffness. That probably sounds weird, but for example: I ran 8 miles this past Sunday and my quads started to get tight towards the end. So I focused on moving the stiffness down my legs and 'propelling' it out the soles of my feet to make me run farther. Obviously I know it doesn't make me run faster, but thinking about stuff like that really helps me relax and not think about kids, work, etc.
  • ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Running on the dreadmill is torture for me. But I still do it. I've tried watching tv and listening to music. It's just not the same as when I run outside.

The one thing that I've started focusing on while running on my treadmill is being more competitive with myself. I try to challenge myself to do intervals, even on long runs.

The most I've ran on the treadmill is 3 miles so far. I am getting ready to go up to 4 though....IF I don't get super bored. haha

This is me as well. I have to keep changing speed or incline for interval works and it's the only thing that saves me. 3 miles is also my absolute limit as well. I just can't stand it so I do my longer distance work outside