Strength training not counting calories?

Options
I am inputing the strength training I've done today but MFP isn't logging any calories burned for it. It logged calories burned for my cardio but not the strength training. Any solution to this?

Replies

• mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    You can log it under the Cardio section instead to get a calories burned. If you put it in the actual 'strength' section it doesn't tally a burn.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    log "strength training" in the cardio section to get an estimate of calories burned.
  • neesono
    neesono Posts: 61
    Options
    Ok thank you! Is that a bug or is it just how the program works?
  • erickirb
    Options
    Ok thank you! Is that a bug or is it just how the program works?

Just how it works as MFP has no idea how fast or hard you are working based on sets and reps. Say some that can bench 300lbs did one set of 100lbs, then someone else did the same set but have a max of 120. The one with the lower max would burn way more calories as they would be working much harder, and MFP has no way to determine intensity based on reps and sets.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    you have to do it in both places.
  • neesono
    Options
    I see. At the moment all it is letting me do in cardio is add Strength training. So it's kind of vague and I have no idea how to calculate the approximate calories I burned at the gym today
  • neesono
    Options
    Ok I tried to enter the strength training as two different "cardio" exercises that were listed in the MFP database: Circuit training and strength training.

Based on 60min the Circuit training gave me around 700+ calories burned while the strength training only gave me around 200+

Not sure what direction to go here
  • erickirb
    Options
    If you took breaks between sets, like traditional strength training, use strength training. If you went from one exercise to another with little to no break use circuit training.
  • neesono
    Options
    Got it. Yeah I rested about 1min between sets and about 1-2min between exercises. Thanks!