Freaking out

Options
Am I the only one who after losing a bit of weight, freaks out? I have been using MFP for several months and have lost 20 pounds. After seeing the number 20, I went on a bit of a binge and gained 2 pounds. Am i my own worst enemy?

I am back on track, but am now afraid of stepping on the scale.

Am I crazy?

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you're crazy, then so am I.
  • spurlore
    spurlore Posts: 3
    Options
    You're not alone. After I have a bad day (usually a bad weekend). I am afraid to step back on the scale. I try to behave for a few days then go look at the damage.
  • craek
    craek Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, when I see a drop in weight, I get so excited that I feel I can go have this HUGE meal...not always the best option but only have myself to blame!
  • CharleneM
    CharleneM Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not! Just focus and get back on track. It happens to all of us. I have gained 7 lbs since Christmas and have a hard time getting back on track, but think I am ok now. PHEW! Scared me. I know I have done it before, so I know I can do it now. Good luck! Remember: FOCUS FOCUS FOCUS and remember your goal.
  • oscarvalles
    Options
    No, you're not crazy. Just insecure. You're doing great. Keep it up!!
  • Trozendaal
    Options
    You are not the only one. I think mine is the 200 line for now. Just when I get under it, I skyrocket back above it. Frustrating!! I truly am my own worst enemy when it comes to food.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It's normal to go in cycles - ups and downs... different things trigger the cycles for different people. Although some exceptional individuals are able to stick with it fairly strictly until they hit their goal weight, this is fairly rare. Just make sure you are aware of your actions and don't allow yourself to fall too far down - you'd hate to end up back at the beginning! Ideally, you need to examine yourself, your actions, your feelings/emotions, your thoughts, etc. and try to figure out *why* the cycle happens and see if you can stop it from triggering again, if possible.
  • carlybarley22
    carlybarley22 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There are always ups and downs. But you deserve to lose weight and look fantastic, so even if you have some bumps along the road, stick with it =).
  • Katherine_Nelson
    Katherine_Nelson Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    The scale is my own worst enemy! I moved and got rid of it so i would obsessively weigh myself everyday. whenever i do really good i would slack off and gain the weight back!! now i just check my weight whenever i go to my mother-in-laws house. i try to go off of how i feel/look more so than what my number is. another key is to not beat yourself up over slight weight gain. if you feel discouraged it is easier to just stop trying! good luck! =]
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You are human :) 20 pounds is a great accomplishement, don't beat yourself up over 2 pounds. Just get back on track and keep up the good work!
  • MaysMom
    MaysMom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You are FAR from alone. I've noticed several of the same type of post, which makes we wonder how many there are that don't post it? (Like me) I did the same thing at 15 lbs. Complete sabotage. Gained 4 lbs. Got my mindset straightened out, and thought I was back on track. Yesterday was a bad day emotionally, so what did I do? Took the family to Cici's Pizza for dinner. But the difference between now and all those other times I have "dieted" is that now when set myself back a bit, I stop it right away rather than letting it snowball. So yesterday was bad, today is a new day, and I just spent the last hour at the Y with my trainer. And I actually admitted yesterday's debaucle to her. She kicked my butt this morning, but it's what I needed to get back into the right frame of mind. To quote her, "Don't dread it, get excited about it." Don't dread the exercise. Don't dread stepping on the scale. See it as starting fresh, a new beginning everyday. Resetting, rebooting, reenergizing.
  • pjfmaui73
    pjfmaui73 Posts: 408
    Options
    You are FAR from alone. I've noticed several of the same type of post, which makes we wonder how many there are that don't post it? (Like me) I did the same thing at 15 lbs. Complete sabotage. Gained 4 lbs. Got my mindset straightened out, and thought I was back on track. Yesterday was a bad day emotionally, so what did I do? Took the family to Cici's Pizza for dinner. But the difference between now and all those other times I have "dieted" is that now when set myself back a bit, I stop it right away rather than letting it snowball. So yesterday was bad, today is a new day, and I just spent the last hour at the Y with my trainer. And I actually admitted yesterday's debaucle to her. She kicked my butt this morning, but it's what I needed to get back into the right frame of mind. To quote her, "Don't dread it, get excited about it." Don't dread the exercise. Don't dread stepping on the scale. See it as starting fresh, a new beginning everyday. Resetting, rebooting, reenergizing.

Love this and totally agree!!!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    You are absolutely not alone! I freaked out when I got passed twenty and again when I got under 200! Somehow when we meet goals we’ve set for ourselves we tend to get scared. For me it was like being in uncharted territory. I’ve lost and gained and lost and gained the same 5-10 and sometimes almost 20 pounds over and over, but … THIS, this actually succeeding for more than a month or so… yup, new stuff and kinda scary. I think it’s natural (for some of us anyway) to self-sabotage, to somehow want to get back to that comfortable (albeit miserable) territory. Thanks for posting the question! A lot of the comments on here are very helpful! I know I never want to go back to the way it was before! And, as always with this site, nice to know I’m not alone either!! :-D