Don't be that creepy guy in the gym!

Options
...or girl for that matter.
For a couple of days now there's been this guy at the gym that comes in when I'm half through my workout.
He stares and it creeps me out! The walls are all covered with mirrors, and I can feel him looking when i work out, it's so distracting. Usually I just put my music on, no problem. At one point I even thought I was just seeing thing because, well let's face it people can be pretty egocentric. But then again when u keep meeting eyes all the time it's just weird. I thought ok maybe he wants to use this mashine and he's just checking out to see when I'm done. But then today he started following me, whenever I'd done one machine. he'd do it after me. So I stopped my round, went to the back of the gym to do crunches, he did his set, and then came to the back of the gym, started walking around. Wtf am i supposed to do? I don't want to stop going to the gym coz of him, and I really don't want to start a conversation, I've noticed when he starts talking to someone he hangs around for ages.
Any advice on how I should handle this situation??

Replies

• Scott_P
    Scott_P Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Let the people at the front desk know whats going on. Your paying to be there and deserve to be in a comfortable environment.
    Guy sounds like he needs to work on his check out skills.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Ignore him. If he approaches you tell him you're not trying to be rude but you don't have a lot of time to get your workout done. If he asks you out say you're engaged. If he asks why you don't have a ring then say you don't wear it while at the gym so it won't get scratched.

Problem solved. :)

I'm not a mean person but from the sound of it you do not want to be friendly to this guy unless you want to talk to him every day. Let him get the message and move on to the next person.
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I think you should either ignore him (don't pay him ANY attention at all), maybe he will get bored OR you go tell him to stop it or you will tell the gym. I'm sure they want you comfortable & have a talk with the guy
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'd speak to the front desk - the gym should be a comfortable environment for everyone.
  • McBoBo
    McBoBo Posts: 87
    Options
    Totally complain to the management. I work out in a Cardio Cinema---a movie theater with cardio equip so people can even see my wiggle jiggle if they tried. You deserve personal space respect. Good luck :O)
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Have you thought that perhaps he's checking you out and working up the courage to talk to you?? If you keep meeting eyes all the time you are looking at HIM quite a bit too.... just a thought.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel comfortable talking to him then speak to management. It is extremely creepy.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you are uncomfortable tell the people in the front.
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Have you thought that perhaps he's checking you out and working up the courage to talk to you?? If you keep meeting eyes all the time you are looking at HIM quite a bit too.... just a thought.

Like i already said there are mirrors all over the place. If I look up and he stands in front of me drinking his water, it's hard not to. Do u understand? I try not to look at him because I'm afraid it'll encourage him.

I'm gonna say something to the dude by the desk tomorrow. :)
  • polar5554
    polar5554 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I say confront the creep!!

Give him the old..."Why don't you take a picture, it will last longer" line...
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options

ughhh that makes him even CREEPIER in my mind... only losers go to the gym looking to meet a potential date/ socialize ...
  • malias
    malias Posts: 82
    Options
    Good for you. Don't let creepers like that win. Telling management at the gym is the smart thing to do. He might be harmless but that doesnt mean he has a right to make you feel uncomfortable and vulnerable. Protect yourself...first and foremost.
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Ok, you guys are not going to BELIEVE THIS!
    I told the guy at the gym that I wasn't sure if I was being paranoid but that this guy made me really uncomfortable because he kept staring. So he said there was nothing he could do, but that he'd keep an eye out. When I was done the dude by the desk said he agreed with me, the guy had been following me around, (apparently he just stopped abruptly using a machine and would walk and sit down next to/opposite one of mine. The guy said he'd never been in a situation like this before, but that he would talk to the manager.
    I left and about 1h later I get a call from the gym saying the man had been banned due to complaints from other customers. My friend that goes to the gym, told me a guy in the locker room had walked in on him loudly 'pleasing' himself in the shower!
    There are some sick ppl out there. Thanks everyone for ur help, u were all right, dealing with the situation was a way better option than just ignoring. Thanks
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Yikes what a total creep.

I am so glad management took it seriously.

Hopefully now you will be able to enjoy your workouts.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Give him the old..."Why don't you take a picture, it will last longer" line...

Probably not the best idea in the age of the iPhone. He might just take you up on the offer.
  • bahrainbel_2
    Options
    pmsl @ pleasuring himself loudly in the shower, some people have no shame.
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    That's so gross! Glad you complained about him ... what a weirdo! At least he got kicked out when he did, sounds like he could have been dangerous.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

ughhh that makes him even CREEPIER in my mind... only losers go to the gym looking to meet a potential date/ socialize ...

I heard a radio commercial for Gold's Gym the other day where that was part of the sales pitch...Finding someone to date.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    The guy on the treadmill next to me was singing the other day, talk about distracting. I always have my headphones in but I don't like them to be loud because I like to be aware of what around me and make sure my machine is working and sounding ok.
  • Vixxta
    Vixxta Posts: 31
    Options
    My experience in working with the mentally ill is this: for your own personal safety, there are some people that it's best not to mingle with. At all. I'm so glad you didn't confront him. And I'm relieved this worked out well for you. Not to freak you out, but do keep an eye on your surroundings as you're going about your day. This guy sounds like a potential stalker. He can't come to the gym, but who says he can't linger around the neighborhood and follow someone home? He clearly has social issues, eh? Take care.