How often should I eat salmon?

Options
http://www.order-salmon.com/how-often-should-you-eat-salmon-per-week.php interesting article:

How often should you eat salmon?

How many times a week should you eat salmon? Recommendations vary. Here is a sampling of recommendations by the American Heart Association, doctors, health care professionals and medical experts:

As frequently as possible. Amount recommended by Dr. Nicholas Perricone. "I've long urged people to eat wild salmon as frequently as possible." (Nicholas Perricone, MD, " Wild Alaskan Salmon - The King Of The Super Foods,” The Perricone Promise, Warner Books, New York, Boston, October 2004, pp. 46-47)

5 nights per week. Number of dinner servings of salmon — plus a can of salmon for lunch seven days a week — prescribed by Dr. Nicholas Perricone for an unnamed Hollywood celebrity preparing for an action film. “I got the call from Brad (not his real name), a well-known fitness trainer to many of Hollywood's most famous actors and actresses. "I've got a challenge on my hands and a deadline looming' Brad explained. ‘I'm working with Skye (not her real name) on a new action film. My challenge is to get her into the 'action hero' shape that the role requires. Her last film required her to gain a lot of extra weight and now we've got to get it off in record time.’ . . . I started her on three 1,000 mg omega-3 fish oil capsules to be taken three times per day — a whopping total of 9,000 my per day. This may seem extreme, but the circumstances called for it. In addition, I suggested she take 1,000 mg of acetyl-l-carnitine and 2,000 mg of CLA per day."

"I also sent Skye a case of canned wild Alaskan sockeye salmon and advised her to eat a can a day for lunch along with a dark green salad and an apple. I advised her to purchase eggs from free-range chickens whose diet was high in flax; these eggs were another good source of omega-3s. For dinner I recommended that she eat cold-water fish, such as salmon, at least five nights per week-again with a dark green leafy salad dressed with lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil, with either an apple or grapefruit for dessert. Admittedly this was a pretty strict regimen, but we needed to accomplish a small miracle in a short amount of time.” How often each salmon? (Nicholas V. Perricone, MD, “Skye’s Story,” The Perricone Weight Loss Diet, Ballantine Books, New York, 2005) For the full story of Perricone's work with this celebrity see pp. 34-35 of The Perricone Weight Loss Diet)

5 times a week. Minimum frequency salmon should be eaten recommended by Dr. Nicholas Perricone for a young high school athlete suffering from acne and excess body fat. “For starters, I recommended that the copious amounts of soda [Matt drank] needed to be replaced with pure spring water. Then, I put Matt on the anti-inflammatory diet. Luckily, Matt loved fish, which gave me great hopes for a successful outcome.

I recommended that he buy wild Alaskan salmon in cans for convenience and ideally eat salmon at least five times per week. In addition to eating liberal amounts of fresh vegetables and fruits, he needed to start taking high quality fish oil capsules.” Salmon how often? (Nicholas V. Perricone, MD, The Perricone Weight Loss Diet, Ballantine Books, New York, 2005, pp. 38-39. For other examples of treatment and diet regimens prescribed for patients by Perricone see pp. 7-8, 34-35 and 140)

3 times a week (minimum). Minimum frequency cold-water fish - such as salmon - should be eaten per week in order to correct the imbalance of omega-6 over omega-3 in the U.S. diet. “It well may be that our depressed, overweight society — plagued by inflammatory ‘lifestyle diseases’ such as arteriosclerosis, diabetes, Alzheimer's, obesity and cancer — is suffering unnecessarily. Never before in human history have diets been so low in omega-3 fatty acids and so high in inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids. . . This crucial imbalance needs to he rectified if we are to regain and maintain optimal mental, physical, and emotional health.
To address this fatty acid imbalance, you need to take two simple steps: First, cut way back on omega-6-rich vegetable oils (corn, soy, canola, safflower, etc) — which are abundant in most processed, frozen, and fast foods — and switch to heart-healthy EVOO [Extra Virgin Olive Oil], which is high in non-inflammatory monounsaturated fats and potent anti-inflammatory antioxidants. Second, add fatty cold-water fish such as wild salmon, sardines, anchovies, trout, sablefish, and herring to your diet at least three times per week and take fish oil capsules daily. Dosage information: Take 1 to 4 grams per day.” How much salmon per week? Salmon frequency. (Nicholas V. Perricone, MD, “Dr. Perricone’s 7 Secrets to Beauty, Health, and Longevity,” Ballantine Books, New York, 2006, p. 173)

2 – 6 servings per week. Number of servings of fish or seafood recommended in Dr. Andrew Weil’s Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid. “2 - 6 servings per week (one serving is equal to 4 ounces of fish or seafood). [Wild Alaskan salmon (especially sockeye), herring, sardines, and black cod (sablefish)] are rich in omega-3 fats, which are strongly anti-inflammatory.” How often should you eat salmon? (Dr. Andrew Weil, “Dr. Andrew Weil’s Anti-Inflammatory Food Pyramid – Fish & Seafood,” DrWeil.com, undated, retrieved Wednesday, December 30, 2009)
2 – 3 servings per week. Number of servings of fish per week recommended by Dr. Andrew Weil. “[O]mega-3 fatty acids - offers so many health benefits, including reduction of risk of heart disease, that most experts recommend that everyone eat more coldwater, oily fish, (such as salmon, sardines, herring, and black cod). . . . Omega-3s are so important to heart health that my longstanding recommendation has been to consume two to three servings of fish per week or to take a fish oil supplement if you don't like fish. The American Heart Association recommends eating at least two fish meals a week. I eat fish often and also take 2-3 grams of supplemental fish oil a day."
"We know that populations that eat fish regularly live longer and have less chronic disease than populations that do not. This may be partly because fish displaces meat in their diets. Certainly, fish provides high-quality protein without the saturated fat present in meat and poultry. In addition, the benefits of supplemental fish oil for people with heart disease are well established: reduction of serum triglycerides by 25 to 30 percent, slowing of the buildup of atherosclerotic plaques that can clog coronary arteries, slight lowering of blood pressure, decreased clotting tendency of the blood, and reduced risk of death, heart attack, dangerous abnormal heart rhythms, and strokes. Fish oil also may benefit people who have diabetes, PMS, breast cancer, memory loss, depression, insulin resistance, rheumatoid arthritis, and other inflammatory conditions.” How often can you eat salmon? (Dr. Andrew Weil, “Dr. Weil Q&A Library,” DrWeil.com, Weil Lifestyle, Inc., Phoenix, Arizona, August 18, 2008)

2 – 3 servings per week (if not more). Number of servings of fatty fish like salmon that should be included in diet as recommended by Dr. Andrew Weil. “[The] fish oils, perhaps the most valuable sources of omega-3s, certainly of the preformed, very long chain omega-3s, EPA and DHA, that appear to be critically important for optimum cardiovascular, neurological, and mental health. Let me repeat that our bodies can make these vital nutrients from dietary LNA, but that the conversion is often inefficient, especially if the necessary enzymes are overwhelmed by excess omega-6 fatty acids in the diet. For that reason, I think it is useful to eat the oily, cold-water fish that provide them, such as salmon, sardines, mackerel, and herring. . . . [It] is good to include fatty fish in the diet; I recommend two to three servings of them a week, more if possible.” How often can I eat salmon? (Dr. Andrew Weil, “Fat Revisited: The Best Part of Food or the Worst?,” Eating Well for Optimum Health, HarperCollins Publishers, Inc., New York, NY, 2000, pp. 97-98)
2 times a week (at least). Frequency that the American Heart Association recommends eating fish – particularly mackerel, lake trout, herring, sardines, albacore tuna and salmon. “Omega-3 fatty acids benefit the heart of healthy people, and those at high risk of — or who have — cardiovascular disease. We recommend eating fish (particularly fatty fish) at least two times a week. Fish is a good source of protein and doesn’t have the high saturated fat that fatty meat products do. Fatty fish like mackerel, lake trout, herring, sardines, albacore tuna and salmon are high in two kinds of omega-3 fatty acids, eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA).” How often can you eat salmon? How often should I eat salmon? How often to eat salmon? (American Heart Association, “Fish and Omega-3 Fatty Acids AHA Recommendation,” Dallas, Texas, undated, retrieved Monday, December 28, 2009)

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I love salmon but I couldn't eat ANY single food 5-6 nights a week. Talk about boring.
  • Kelleyrh5
    Kelleyrh5 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks this is great information as i love salmon! My JCC suggested only 1x week and that kinda bummed me out. But, i like this information much so better. Thanks for making my week!:happy:
  • Wightvixen
    Wightvixen Posts: 117
    Options
    I think the upshot of that is - as often as you want!
  • JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I would eat fish/salmon/cod/tuna/sardines/mackerel/trout/prawns/mussels infact any fish twice a day happily if I could afford to. Sadly I can't so its two or three times a week at present!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    i know, cost can be a problem. Makes me mad that healthy eating is so expensive in the USA. We moved to Mexico and produce is in abundance and extremely economical, so we can afford better cuts of meat. I'm the only one in my family that eats salmon, everyone else has been eating mahi mahi about twice a week. I learned how to grill fresh tuna, we've become a processed food free home. The salmon melts like butter after being brushed w/extra virgin olive oil, grilled w/a little sea salt and fresh chopped dill from my garden. :o))
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    I eat salmon 4-5 times a week....it is a lil expensive but since Ive cut out other things ( dairy, red meat, nail salon, hairdresser) its not been too hard on my pocket.
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    eat it as often as you can and as long as you stay within your macros. Oh ya make sure its is wild not farm raised.
  • primus_guy
    primus_guy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I make it 2-3 times every week. The kids make faces sometimes but they still eat it.