Heart Rate Monitor

D_elCoop1216
D_elCoop1216 Posts: 26
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm thinking about purchasing a heart rate monitor. Any suggestions? What brands are the best that you've used?

Replies

• mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    I just purchased a Polart FT4 on Amazon and am in love with it. I put it on pushed a couple buttons and was on my way. It has a chest strap which is a must...I had the BowFlex Fit which didn't have a chest strap and I could NEVER get a read out on it.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Before you buy, here's a couple things to think about (these are fun gadgets! Enjoy!): http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/TrainerRobin/view/heart-rate-monitor-watches-something-to-consider-69776
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    I just ordered the Bowflex Heart Rate Monitor Chest Belt Active Trainer 9 can't wait to get it I wanna be able to log my calories burned accurately!
  • I have been using this monitor also. LOVE IT!! It really is worth the money. Don't go cheap, you get what you pay for. This was $80.99 on Amazon with free shipping.
  • H_82
    H_82 Posts: 418 Member
    Polar FT60 - Love it! The ones w/ chest straps are more accurate.
  • Sorry, the Polar FT4 monitor was what I was talking about :o)
  • trolleydolly70
    trolleydolly70 Posts: 29 Member
    Polar Smart Edge is the one I have been using. An older model, but works great!
  • gold27701
    gold27701 Posts: 15 Member
    I just purchased a Suunto T4d, the Suunto is sometimes on the pricey side but I wear it as an everyday watch as well. I have had it for about 1 month, still trying to learn how to use some of the features, but the basic features are pretty easy to use. I did alot of research on Heart Rate monitors before I purchased, the top 3 that I looked at hard were Polar, Garmin and Suunto. In my opinion you will need to determine what you want in your HRM needs, and limit your search to models that meet your needs. Amazon is a great source for user feedback and variety of HRMs.
  • nenabug
    nenabug Posts: 156
    I have a Polar FT40. If you go to Sports Authority or a place like that you can see all the heart rate monitors they have. I love mine, but wish I'd done a little more homework and gotten a cheaper version. It's accurate and helps me work at a better intensity so I get the most bang for my effort. Don't bother with the ones that break down "fat burning vs. fitness" because it doesn't matter. Fat burning your heart rate is too low. You want to get your rate up and you'll burn fat as well.

Good luck! I hope that you find the perfect one for you.
  • I have been doing some research on Amazon today and found that most of the ones mentioned in response to my original post all give great feedback. I'm looking for something that's easy, nothing too fancy. I'm willing to pay a decent amount (as most of them are not cheap!). Those that ordered on Amazon, does the chest strap come included or is that something that needs to be ordered separately?

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    I have been doing some research on Amazon today and found that most of the ones mentioned in response to my original post all give great feedback. I'm looking for something that's easy, nothing too fancy. I'm willing to pay a decent amount (as most of them are not cheap!). Those that ordered on Amazon, does the chest strap come included or is that something that needs to be ordered separately?

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions!

Good eye. That's something that many have missed. Some of the models (at least the Garmin ones with GPS) don't come with a heart monitor. If you see a price difference (typically around $50 bucks) be sure to find out if the heart strap is included. Sometimes, they're not (found out the hard way). If you can't tell from the site, call to be sure.

Good catch!
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    I have a Polarft7 and I love it. It's not complicated like some other HRM's, very easy to set up and use. It comes with a chest strap also. I did a lot of research before I bought it, and a lot of people have told me Polar is a good brand, and I agree. Plus, this is something you might need to look in to. Some of the heart rate monitors have batteries that you have to send the watch back to the manufactuer when they die to have them replaced. The one I have you can buy the battery in any store with batteries.

Forgot to add, I got it at heartratemonitorusa.com (Someone on here mentioned it in the forum) and it was cheaper than on the polar site.
This discussion has been closed.