Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Well Great :( :( :(

So yesterday was the first day I have ever gone over on my caloie count. I had several people say it's OK, it's just one day, it's not going to affect anything. Also, I've had so many people tell me i'm not eating enough calories to start with and that I'll lose weight fater if I would eat a little more calories.....well of course, I ate some more, went over for the first time ever, and I gained a pound when I weighed in this morning :( I even exercised, although I didn't do two workouts like I normally do because I had a LOT of homework to do and felt as though I really needed to focus on my class. But now today I'm almost regretting working on homework because I should have gotten in that extra workout and maybe I wouldn't have gained a pound over night!! anyway...this is turning into a big rant that I could have just put into a blog. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them before? What can I do to avoid it??

Replies

• waverly9876
    waverly9876 Posts: 605 Member
    First of all, you dont need to stress. Your homework comes first. Second, did you eat anything before you weighed? One day, I weighed myself and I went back in a few hours later and I gained two lbs. (it was off the next day). Your weight fluctuates throughout the day. Its also ok to eat over once in a while. Just bc you are eating below your calories, doesnt mean you are eating healthy. So, if you went over last night, you coud have been eating healthier. Remember, dont worry about the scale and dont let it ruin your whole day. Stress also adds to weight gain too.

:-)
  • amboardman
    amboardman Posts: 144 Member
    Unless you went 3500 calories over what you burned in the day, you didn't actually gain 1 whole pound. Your weight will fluctuate day to day based on many factors i.e. your sodium intake, water intake, monthly "issues," etc. Going over your calories one day didn't cause it. Don't panic! And don't weigh every day! You'll drive yourself crazy!
  • melissataylor1986
    melissataylor1986 Posts: 41 Member
    Don't get discouraged, it's happened to me several times. All you can do is just pick yourself back up and move on to the next day. Your weight will fluctuate up and down a little bit quite often and that's okay.
  • musicgirl88
    musicgirl88 Posts: 504 Member
    First of all, you dont need to stress. Your homework comes first. Second, did you eat anything before you weighed? One day, I weighed myself and I went back in a few hours later and I gained two lbs. (it was off the next day). Your weight fluctuates throughout the day. Its also ok to eat over once in a while. Just bc you are eating below your calories, doesnt mean you are eating healthy. So, if you went over last night, you coud have been eating healthier. Remember, dont worry about the scale and dont let it ruin your whole day. Stress also adds to weight gain too.

:-)

I never eat beore I weigh in....I weigh at the same time every morning after I use the retsroom!! That is one thing I make sure to do the same way every day LOL
  • emilyness
    emilyness Posts: 2 Member
    Don't worry! Everyone's weight swings around a few pounds. Sure, if you skipped a workout maybe you didn't sweat off some water weight. But also keep in mind that two cups of water weighs one pound. If your body was haning on to some extra H2O you can be up slightly. Going over your calorie goal one day is not going hurt you...I guess if you ate 3500 extra calories that could be a pound. Hang in there. Looks like you have lost 7 lbs!
  • jrt9999
    jrt9999 Posts: 114
    Some days the scale will drop and other days it will increase. Daily biological functions do that. Just follow the MFP guidelines you set-up, including the right amount of calories, eat plenty of variety of foods, and give it several weeks. You will see a difference. After a month or so, if you stick to the plan, you will feel like the weight is coming off steady.
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Looking at your diary, I see that on the day you went over 100 calories. This is not anywhere near enough for you to put on a pound. Depending on where you have your deficit set, it won't even be enough for you to put on weight. What I suspect it is, will be your high sodium intake for the day. You are well over the limit - if I ate that much sodium I'd put on about 5 pounds overnight! Excess sodium makes you retain water, and this will be the cause of the weight gain.

It is easy to deal with. Drink lots of water to help excrete the sodium, and try and keep your sodium down as much as possible. You can do this in the first instance by cutting down on pre packaged foods and eating more fresh meat, fruit and veggies.

Don't stress about the 1 pound. Even if it isn't the sodium, it is a normal fluctuation.

All the best,

Erika
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Unless you ate over by 3,500 calories then that pound is not fat. It may be water. Did you go over your sodium?

I go over maybe once or twice a week, but I don't really worry too much about it. The next couple days after I do have a gain, but usually I loose a lot in the next couple of days.

I'm not sure if that helps any, but that is my experience.
  • Uncle Ted recommends....to everyone....that you view this as a marathon and not a sprint. Stay on your program, eat your calories, do your workouts, cut yourself a little slack now and then (I have one free meal per week where I eat anything I want) and don't sweat the scale. Weigh yourself once a month. Period. If you can't stand to hold off, then twice a month or at most once a week (even that's pushing it for me). People who weigh themselves every day or try to note little changes in the mirror each morning when they get dressed are going to psyche themselves out. As other posts note, your body, based on the size of your frame or bodyfat percentage, can fluctuate 2-4 lbs every day. That's why putting the scale up in your closet for 30 days at a time lets you avoid freaking out when you see the little movements.

Take the first Sunday morning of every month, get the scale down and weigh yourself. Then take your neck, shoulder, chest, waist and thigh measurements. If the inches go down and the weight stays the same (or even goes up), you're replacing fat with muscle. If your weight goes down, great. Compare all of these things to the previous month and you'll be amazed at how good your outlook and motivation will be for the next 30 days.
  • ambrosij
    ambrosij Posts: 317 Member
    Ok,

First take a deep breath. I think it would help for you to have a general understanding of how the body gains and loses weight, and also what types of weight the body will gain and lose throughout the course of a day/week/year/lifetime. When you step on a scale it is a measurement of four components of your anatomy: Fat Mass, Bone Mass, Muscle Mass, and Water. Of these four components you only have control of three: Fat, Muscle, and water. The reason people tell you to eat additional calories is because at some point in a significantly reduced calorie state, the body will burn muscle mass instead of fat, and while this effectively reduces your weight, it will technically increase your body fat percentage and your body will burn less overall calories per day then if you had a greater amount of lean muscle. But, you are going to the gym and working out and hopefully your diet consists of many meals thorughout the day at no less than a 1200 calorie total (unless you are using certain supplementation but that is another topic)...so chances are your body is not cannabalizing too much of that lean muscle.

With that said it is important to understand who a pound of fat is gained and loss. A pound of fat consists of about 3200 calories..so in order to gain a pound of fat you would need to eat at least 3200 calories over your daily caloric need. Not including exercise a lightly active 25 year old woman who weighed 150lbs and was 5'7" tall would need about 1,926 calories daily in order to maintain her weight, add 30 minutes on the treadmill and you can add abother 500 calories on top of that...so what does this mean...it means that in order for this individual to gain a pound of fat in a single day they would have to eat not 3200 calories but nearly 5600 calories...a monumental task to say the least. Likewise, in order to lose a pound of fat a day you would have to have a calorie shortage of 3200 calories...so again this particular person would have to not only eat nothing the entire day but would also need to spend enough time at the gym to burn 1,274 calories...again not an easy task when your tank is empty, and this does not even take into consideration muscle catabolization.

The human body is made up of nearly 60% water, and the water is retained predominently in the muscle mass (there is no water in fat mass). Water retention can be caused by a number of things to include high sodium intake, repair to muscles, dehydration, hormones, no way to really put a finger on it. Body builders will take supplements (diuretics) that help them to elminate water retention from their bodies prior to a competition to create a more "cut" look. But for the normal person it is best to remain fully hydrated at all times and maximize water consumption (also a gallon of water weighs 8 pounds, so keep in mind that drinking a quart of water and then weighing yourself will make it "appear" you have gained 2 pounds...but thats all water and is good for you and is simply going to pass through you.

Chances are, actually I am certain of it, that you gained a pound of weight due to water retention or simply consuming water. I would discouarge anyone from taking their eight on a daily basis and if you are devoted to your diet and workout only weigh yourself weekly, or for a dramatic effect, monthly. Pay attention to salt (sodium) in your diet as this leads to water retention, which you can feel in your hands (rings get tight) and this can be avoided by drinking more water...when ever the salinity of the water in the body rises your retention will do the same (increasing sodium in diet/dehydration both cause salinity to rise).

I would recommend you pay much more attention to your body fat percentage (get a scale that measures body fat and take the readings three times and average them out) and inches lost than pounds of weight...it is a much better indicator of progress.
    So yesterday was the first day I have ever gone over on my caloie count. I had several people say it's OK, it's just one day, it's not going to affect anything. Also, I've had so many people tell me i'm not eating enough calories to start with and that I'll lose weight fater if I would eat a little more calories.....well of course, I ate some more, went over for the first time ever, and I gained a pound when I weighed in this morning :( I even exercised, although I didn't do two workouts like I normally do because I had a LOT of homework to do and felt as though I really needed to focus on my class. But now today I'm almost regretting working on homework because I should have gotten in that extra workout and maybe I wouldn't have gained a pound over night!! anyway...this is turning into a big rant that I could have just put into a blog. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them before? What can I do to avoid it??
  • ambrosij
    ambrosij Posts: 317 Member
    I also wanted to mention, that while 3200 calories seems like a lot...it is really not. If it was so much then why are their so many over weight folks you may ask? Well it is simple. Take into account that female I described previously...let us say, for maths sake, that she needs to eat 2000 calories per day at a lightly active level in order to maintain her 150 pounds...lets again say that she has a desk job and her "lightly active" description comes from a lunch time walk she goes for with a colleague...which in her mind this is exercise. We will call her Jane.

For breakfast Jane stopped at Dunkin Donuts on the way to work, her normal routine and had a whole grain bagel (390) with lowfat cream cheese (150). She also orderd a medium low fat mocha latte (320). Jane's breakfast adds up to 860 calories.

Jane has been at work since 7am and it is now 9:30am and time for her to take a small break. Jane pours a cup of coffee and takes two creamers (40). She has also brought a small apple from home as her break snack (60). Jane's break adds up to 100 calories.

Lunch time has come around and Jane office building has a cafeteria in her building that sells food items of similar nutritional values to Wendy's, Jane more often than not eats her lunch at this cafeteria and then goes for a 30 minute walk. Jane doesnt like to eat a big lunch so she orders half a cobb salad with ranch dressing and croutons (420). She does have a bit of a sweet tooth though and usually orders the equivalent of a frosty Jr (really just a few ounces of ice cream.....150). Jane's lunch consisted of 570 calories.

It is about 3:30 and Jane is getting a little hungry but she brings a 100 calorie snack pack with her every day just for this occasion. Jane's snack consisted of 100 Calories.

Jane likes to be out of the office no later than 6PM, with good traffic she can get home in 45 min, but on average it usually takes an hour. Jane generally gets home at around 7PM and she really does not like to cook, usually she is just too tired to mess with it. As soon as she gets home she has a couple glasses of red wine (300), and a couple pieces of brie cheese (100) and then walks over to Panera bread just down the road, or orders a to go order and picks it up on the way home. At panera bread she generally orders 1/2 Sandwich and soup (670)...For a total of 1,070 calories.

By the time Jane finishes dinner, a couple tv programs, and cleaning up it is almost 9:30Pm and Jane likes to have a small oat meal cookie (120) and a small glass of skim milk (80), it helps her sleep. After some light reading Jane dozes off at around 10:30PM. Total of 200.

Jane's day consisted of an intake of 2900 calories. Nearly 900 calories more than she needs to eat daily in order for her to maintain her current weight at her current activity level. Jane's diet does not seem unreasonable, I believe many would even look at that and think it is relatively healthy...no fried foods...eating throughout the day ect. But the bottom line is that calories in equals more than calories out. Every 3.5 days Jane will gane another pound..with each pound she gains her calorie levels needed to maintain that weight also increase...she will continue to increase in weight until the two balance each other out. Fat metabolises about 6 calories every hour and Muscle metabolises between 8-10 calories every hour.

Lets give Jane the benefit of the doubs and say that with her walks she had a moderately active lifestyle. Even so, Jane would continue to gain a pound every 3.5 days until she reached 250 pounds, the weight at which 2900 calories is required to maintain. See how easy it is to all of a sudden be a year down the road and 100 pounds heavier? If Jane was to eat only 100 calories over her daily max she would still be gaining a pound per month, 12lbs per year, and five years later that is 70 POUNDS!!! ....only eating 100 calories over...wow. Not to mention as we age the amount of calories burned without additional activity decreases. Stress also could play a factor by decreasing the bodies metabolic rate, or the rate at which it burns calories by doing nothing more than breathing.

All is not lost though. Lets look at what a couple dietary changes and a little extra exercise could do. Jane could take her bagel dry or with a very light amount of butter, she could cut out her Latte and reduce her breakfast to lets say 400 calories, even less if she can save half the bagel as a snack later in the day. Her snacks are good and at the right amount of calories. She could bring her own salad and save money or pack a canned soup and cut out the ice cream, she could easily reduce her lunch to 350 calories. For dinner only drink one glass of wine, grill your own chicken, make your own dinner, or get some lean cuisine frozen dinners..again money and calorie saving. Also cut out the bed time cookie and the glass of milk and replace it with a glass of sleepy time tea and a tasty quaker rice cake (caramel or chocolate drizzle). Jane's dinner and bed time snack could be reduced to 650 or so calories...so what do we have...a total of 1600 calories...now Jane as at a 400 calorie defecit and Jane also decided to run for 30 minutes in the morning or once she got home from work...burning an extra 500 calories. Now Jane is at a 900 calorie defecit. Now every 3.5 days Jane will be losing a pound...again until her weight and calories even out. Jane is already at a healthy BMI at 150 but if she wanted to get down to a very healthy BMI of 20 she would only need to lose 20 pounds and based on her exercise and diet she could do that in just over a couple months......

And that is the story of weight loss and gain!!