Somewhat new (3/1/11)

Options
Finally getting around to making my introduction. I'm romanhokie and am extremely introverted. Just how I always have been. Anyway. I peaked about 250 and am finally working on my health. I say "finally", but that's not entirely true either.

I was 110# when I graduated high school nearly 20 years ago. I am, as my profile says, "twice the man I used to be." My pede said I would never see 130. Well, college (and beer) and not having to walk nearly as much throughout my day has paid a heavy toll - pun intended. Yes, I crack jokes. It seems to put people at ease around me. Or hate me. I can never tell. I've said lately, that my doctor was an idiot and should have said that I would never see 130 again...

Anyway, I'm down to 229 as of this morning. First time I've broken 230 in several years. I weighed 201 back in January 2005. That's the last measurement I registered with my wife. I was 188 in 2002. My wife has attempted to entice me with a cruise (which she's not keen on doing anyway) to no avail. Yes, I'd love to cruise.

So, in 2008, I was at a spiritual retreat and sharing a bunkhouse with about 13 other men. 4 of them had CPAP. They held a "sleep apnea intervention" like we've heard of with drug users and alcoholics. Told me to get a machine and start therapy. To see a doctor. Well, I finally did in June 2010. On CPAP therapy (sleep hygiene) now for 9 months. My life is changed. Not completely, but it's improving. I no longer fall asleep right after dinner and I no longer nap half of each weekend day. 4 hour naps? There's a reason for that.

Oh, and I started school in 2009 (again). Going for my Master's in Marriage and Family Therapy. No, I can't legally offer services yet. But I will say that basic communication schools you learned in health class in high school are pretty much on the money.

So, I have a lot going on. Anyway, my employer (who shall remain nameless) is holding a weight loss contest between March 7th and May 27th. The price at each center is up to $200 in gift cards with the company prize being $1000 on top of that. My wife can't believe I'm doing this for gift cards and not the cruise.

So, there are 42 of us at the building I work in who are competing and the health and wellness chair is kicking our butts. She's a monster. :-)

My goals are below. If I get to 164, to put me in the "healthy weight" BMI range, I'll get to visit my best friend in Australia. A good man and a great encourager that I've known for 4 years - yet we've never met.

Anyway, that's about it. Oh, and my stomach is grouchy in the morning. Really.

Replies