Easy Beef Tacos

Options
FitToBeFab
FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
I'm cooking a selection of recipes from Six Ingredients or Less Light and Healthy over the next 80 days (Only 77 days to go!). I made these last night and they were AWESOME! The nutrition facts include taco shells, little sprinkle of cheese, and the beef (Because you use a pound to make 10 tacos, it's not many calories for the beef)

Shopping List:
1Pound extra lean ground beef (I used 96/4 – meat/fat)
1 ¼ Cups salsa (I went with the lowest in sodium I could find)
10 Packaged taco shells
Reduced fat shredded cheddar (I used cheddar jack, it has the same nutritional value)
Shredded lettuce
Chopped tomatoes

Heat oven to 325 for taco shells. Meanwhile, brown ground beef in a medium skillet (no need to add seasoning!). Pour in colander to drain off all fat. Return to skillet and stir in salsa. Bring to a boil (I did a slight boil, because I was afraid of the splatter factor); reduce heat to medium or medium-low and simmer until liquid is absorbed (about 10-15 minutes).

Meanwhile (as oven should be heated) place taco shells on a cookie sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes. *Side-note: I stirred the meat occasionally to get the juices covering all the meat, because the salsa I used wasn’t super liquidy. It got more liquidy after I stirred it a few times. Spoon some of the meat mixture into each taco shell. Top each with some of the cheese, lettuce and tomatoes. (As you may have picked up, I HATE TOMATOES so that’s why my tacos pictured above are tomato free)
Makes 10 tacos

Nutrition Facts (Per Taco, including shell)
Cal – 172 Fat – 9 Pro – 13 Fiber – 2 Carb – 12 Sodium – 202

I posted a picture of the finished product on my blog : http://casey-thelazychef.blogspot.com
And there are a few other recipes on the blog, check them out! I'll pretty much be posting one new one every day.

Replies

• dakotasky
    dakotasky Posts: 21
    Options
    I am glad there are no tomatoes on yours because I hate them too. I am also allegric to them too! :smile:
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    That sounds great! I love tacos!!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, and can easily be turned into a taco salad, for those of us that don't like fighting with the chips and mess.
  • AlisonMacKay
    Options
    Love tacos! It's so nice to know that you can have your favorite foods even when you have changed to a healthier life style.!
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    Sounds great!! Will try these for sure!! Thanks:smile:
  • nikjo17
    nikjo17 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.....I love tacos :smile: