Looking for running pals!

Options
I already introduced myself a couple of weeks ago, but I'd love to find some other runners to help motivate me!

I'm injured at the moment, but in the process of converting over to minimalist/forefooting running - to get away from the chronic ITBS problems I developed last year. My foot should be healed enough to get back on the pavement starting next week, so I'd love to have some new running buddies!

Please feel free to add me if you're a runner! :D Well, even if you're not a runner, haha. :D

Replies

• finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Whats ITBS?
  • mfkfoster
    mfkfoster Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner but I have walked a 5K and plan to walk another in a couple of weeks. I'm slowly working my way up to running, but my Doctor advised me not to until I'm below 200 pounds. Add me if you wish!
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Whats ITBS?

Iliotibial band syndrome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I already introduced myself a couple of weeks ago, but I'd love to find some other runners to help motivate me!

I'm injured at the moment, but in the process of converting over to minimalist/forefooting running - to get away from the chronic ITBS problems I developed last year. My foot should be healed enough to get back on the pavement starting next week, so I'd love to have some new running buddies!

Please feel free to add me if you're a runner! :D Well, even if you're not a runner, haha. :D

Sorry to hear about your injury. I'm working through a knee injury myself at the moment, but am hoping to get back out there soon. Feel free to friend me if you like!

Erika
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Newbie runner here, just started last fall. Running my 5th race (5K) in 9 days and registered for my first 5 miler today. Feel free to send friend request and I would love to hear how your minimalist running goes.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I also injured myself (chronic injury now) and am no longer able to run so I took up cycling instead. However, I've trained others for half and full marathons and have run several races myself including a half marathon. I would love to cheer you, guide you, support and encourage you through to your desired goal. Will send you a friend request. Looking forward to be of service :smile:
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I can say this... but I'm a runner! I started last spring with C25K and am completely hooked! Training for my first 10k right now, did 5 miles this morning and the weather couldn't have been better! Wish I could start out all my days this well...

I'm even thinking about my first 1/2 marathon this fall, and I probably will do it, but won't decide for sure until after my 10k. Good luck changing your running style. I have a friend from church who did that last year and she's thrilled with the results so far and is in training for a 25k herself right now!
  • peteyTwang
    peteyTwang Posts: 250
    Options
    Hi! I'm just into my second week (5th run?) of adding running intervals to my long distance walks and LOVING it!
    I usually go about 5 but actually did 7 miles Friday. Have you read "BORN TO RUN" yet? really inspiring book!
    Wow your new shoes look cool!-- but after i read the link about your injury, perhaps maybe not the best choice for you(?)
    i got myself a pair of NIKE MOTO 8 shoes which make me feel like my feet are on pillows
    Hope you are feeling better soon so you can get up and running :smile:
  • remembertheharddrive
    remembertheharddrive Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I'm adding you all as new friends - new and old.

Changing over is like starting from scratch, so I'm usually just endlessly frustrated with my lack of distance, speed and end up pushing too hard. It's ironic that running takes so much patience! It's taken me a long time to figure that out.
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Whats ITBS?

Iliotibial band syndrome:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iliotibial_band_syndrome

ya as soon as I wrote that... I realized what it was! I went through years of not being able to run because of getting that after having surgery on my femur. Just ran my first run in 8 years this past week! Feel free to friend me. I am slowly but surely getting back in to running myself and have some great stretches for the IT Band that have worked for me. :smile:
  • remembertheharddrive
    remembertheharddrive Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    ya as soon as I wrote that... I realized what it was! I went through years of not being able to run because of getting that after having surgery on my femur. Just ran my first run in 8 years this past week! Feel free to friend me. I am slowly but surely getting back in to running myself and have some great stretches for the IT Band that have worked for me. :smile:

It took me a long time to actually feel the impact, but I swear by my foam roller now. The difference between when I'm tight and when I'm not is screamingly obvious when I use it. And I use "The Stick" to work out tightness in my calves. They're definitely great investments.