The guilt...

Options
Adele
Adele Posts: 159 Member
I know you are supposed to eat a set amount of calories, plus exercise ones too. I do eat them, BUT I cannot get over the guilt of eating them all! SO WEIRD...I am seeing results (well on a plateau right now). What is wrong with me??

Grrrrrr....I need to get over this mental issue!

:grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Replies

• Adele
    Adele Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I know you are supposed to eat a set amount of calories, plus exercise ones too. I do eat them, BUT I cannot get over the guilt of eating them all! SO WEIRD...I am seeing results (well on a plateau right now). What is wrong with me??

Grrrrrr....I need to get over this mental issue!

:grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
  • STACYESPARZA
    STACYESPARZA Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It seems like alot to me too...
    I've always associated dieting with starving but then that is not very healthy either...
    It would mess up my metabolism and I would always feel icky...
    Doing it the healthy way may be slower.....but its sure worth it...
    Its healthy and we are taking care of our bodies needs....
    Trust me....when we are older we will be thankful we took care of our bodies...
  • lindizzzy
    lindizzzy Posts: 29
    Options
    i have the same problem!

I just tell myself I need to eat that much to maintain my metabolism

other than that I don't really have any suggestions, I'm still struggling with this

but you're not alone!
  • rosabella
    rosabella Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Nothing's wrong with you!! We've all been taught so many times that food is a friend and reward, and then been told that food is evil and fattening, that we end up with a seriously messed up view of the way we view food.

I used to feel guilty because I felt that food was a reward, and I was somehow punishing myself (hopefully to thinness) by not eating. And then when I did eat, I felt like I didn't "deserve" to eat and felt guilty about it.

I had to learn that FOOD = FUEL. Our bodies need it to run, and if you don't get enough of it, your body is an engine on empty and you're not going to get very far. On the other hand, if you overfill the gas tank, you start storing it for later. So the balance is to find the spot where you're not running on empty, but not overflowing the tank, either. And the hard part is putting your emotions aside and treating food objectively, like a science experiment. :wink:
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    And the hard part is putting your emotions aside and treating food objectively, like a science experiment.

So well said.

I struggle with the same thing each and every day!!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I am finding this to be somewhat the point.

We are having to relearn how to eat. The "guilt" I was feeling certainly wasn't working to keep my weight down. It would cause me to eat privately and it had a feeling of rebellion attached to it. I can't tell you who or what I was rebelling against, but I was.

Working with the MFP program has me evaluating all that nonsense in my head and realizing that I have complete control over everything I put in my mouth and that I should fully enjoy eating. I agree that it is hard, but everytime you acknowlege those feelings of "guilt" or shame and realize how rediculous they are you are learning to have a more heathy relationship with food. There is nothing immoral about eating a cookie.