Do you really want to lose fat? Then EAT SOMETHING!!!

bodybyrick
bodybyrick Posts: 17
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
Good Morning. One of the main questions I often get is "how many calories should I consume in a day"? Well, a number of people on this site continue to aim for the 1300-1500 or less range even after I have told them that consuming that few calories is basically starvation and NOT healthy let alone effective. So, since the personal advice of a ripped 49 year old apparently doesn't carry much weight, please please go to this web site ( http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-many-calories-should-i-eat-a-day.html ) and read about the calorie intake necessary just to be HEALTHY. Maybe you will believe them. It may not seem logical but you actually NEED a certain about of calories before the body will remove it's fat stores. You see, the body is very efficient and in the event that calories are available regularly (and not in excess) then the body doesn't want to carry around extra weight in the form of fat. However, if your caloric intake is too low (under 1500) then the body will sense starvation and horde as much fat as it can. Plus, when you're in the "Starvation" mode, the body cannot repair tissue such as muscle, hair and skin as effectively. So the end result is a gaunt look and muscle loss which, is pretty much opposite of the result we are actually seeking. So, Gals try to eat around 2000 calories per day and guys shoot for 2500. Eat every 2-3 hours and your body will respond in ways you won't believe. Need proof??? Look at my picture. In Health, Rick

Replies

• Carmendu
    Carmendu Posts: 409
    Thanks for the info.
  • I agree I have seen such a different, the more I eat and work out the more I lose :)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    I absolutely agree with this... Most people should be eating more than they are...

How ever! I have a hard time believing that 2000 calories a day will make me lose weight... I wasn't even eating that much before when I was gaining weight... but 1200 doesn't help me lose weight either... a healthy balance of strenght training/ cardio and about 17-1800 calories is my fun balance for maintainence.

17-1800 is the tip top for me.. 14-1500 is my 1/2 pound weight loss per week zone.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Thank you for the info, I agree with your general points, however, this is not something that can be overgeneralized into a number. My MAINTENANCE calories aren't even at 2000 because I'm only 5'3" and under 140lbs.

Starvation mode is real, but it doesn't happen at the same level for everyone and everyone's caloric needs can vary wildly.

Need proof???? Look at MY picture. lol ;)
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    thanks for sharing
  • greeneyed84
    greeneyed84 Posts: 427 Member
    Totally agree but the calories are not the same for everyone. I am only 5.4 feet so eating 2000 would only help me maintain my weight
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Agree 100%
  • NHGirl23
    NHGirl23 Posts: 2,657 Member
    Bump
  • astroub
    astroub Posts: 289 Member
    I think you look great!! I also absolutely agree, I am 5' 2" and my caloric intake is around 1300.... I would have a really hard time maintaing if I took in that many calories a day....
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Good Morning. One of the main questions I often get is "how many calories should I consume in a day"? Well, a number of people on this site continue to aim for the 1300-1500 or less range even after I have told them that consuming that few calories is basically starvation and NOT healthy let alone effective. So, since the personal advice of a ripped 49 year old apparently doesn't carry much weight, please please go to this web site ( http://www.buzzle.com/articles/how-many-calories-should-i-eat-a-day.html ) and read about the calorie intake necessary just to be HEALTHY. Maybe you will believe them. It may not seem logical but you actually NEED a certain about of calories before the body will remove it's fat stores. You see, the body is very efficient and in the event that calories are available regularly (and not in excess) then the body doesn't want to carry around extra weight in the form of fat. However, if your caloric intake is too low (under 1500) then the body will sense starvation and horde as much fat as it can. Plus, when you're in the "Starvation" mode, the body cannot repair tissue such as muscle, hair and skin as effectively. So the end result is a gaunt look and muscle loss which, is pretty much opposite of the result we are actually seeking. So, Gals try to eat around 2000 calories per day and guys shoot for 2500. Eat every 2-3 hours and your body will respond in ways you won't believe. Need proof??? Look at my picture. In Health, Rick

ummm ok you may be a ripped 49 you old male but I am a woman.So no what you said carries no weight with me.I gained weight at 2000 calories.Especially since you just generlize.So a 4'11 woman should eat 2000 calories a day?! You may have figured out what works for you,and you look great but that does not make you an expert.Anyways Ive done pretty well doing things the way I do them so thanks but no thanks
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,319 Member
    Interesting that you say "gals try to eat around 2000 calories per day and guys shoot for 2500" when you reference a site that says 1500 for women and 2000 for me. If I want to GAIN weight I should eat 2000 a day to gain a pound a week. I want to get lean but not ripped
  • Bump
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Lots of people here want to see big results quickly too. I think tha tis why they undereat.

People should focus more on being healthy. Lose weight the healthy way, do not lose weight the unhealthy way.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    :: thumbs up ::
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Lots of people here want to see big results quickly too. I think tha tis why they undereat.

People should focus more on being healthy. Lose weight the healthy way, do not lose weight the unhealthy way.

1500 calories a day is not under eating for a woman
  • kevanos
    You shouldn`t have thrown those 2000 and 2500 numbers out there, even the article clearly states that it depends on the person.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    If I ate 2000 cals a day I would be huge. I know, I've done it.
  • kevanos

That is to general a statement. For some woment it would be undereating, for some it would overeating, for some it would be perfect. It depends on weight, age, physical activity, metabolic type etc.

It depends.
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member

I agree with both of you -- I see so many people on here who want to lose 10-50 pounds, want to do it quickly, so they "choose" (via MFP goals) to lose 2 pounds per week, and barely net 1200 calories, which I can't believe is healthy either.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    That article doesn't really demonstrate your point.

It lists 2500/2000 daily calories for men/women in one place, and 2000/1500 in another place - regardless, they are listed as MAINTENANCE calories, not weight loss calories. The article discusses how one must create a deficit, just as this site does.

And here is a direct quote from that article: "We require a minimum intake of 1200 calories everyday and one must not reduce the intake of calories to less than that without consulting the doctor."

It truly depends on the person, as has been stated before. My daily calories on here is set at 1200 before exercise. That gives me a projected weight loss of only 0.7 lbs per week. At that level, I am both gaining muscle and losing fat, and having very good results overall.
This discussion has been closed.