trying to get fit to ship to basic

Options
so ive been trying to lose enough weight to join the national guard.nothing has worked.my doctors keep checking my thyroid and its always normal.went to a dietitian and she told me i was taking in too few calories (1200) she had me get onto another restriction now im suppose to take in 1400 for my height and drink lots of water.so far nothing has come off.i even did the three day diet and it says u lose ten pounds but i only lost three.plus i come from a family of very overweight people so i got that against me as well.i just need a quick fix so i can go to basic then i know ill lose any excess weight there.

Replies

• Toibear
    Toibear Posts: 31
    Options
    Military not only goes by weight but they also go by body fat measurements. have you had those checked by a recruiting office yet? Weight requirements and measurements are done completely different in the military verses the medical community. I know this doesn't answer your question but something to think about, especially before you do something drastic that still won't help you meet standards.
  • Tomhusker
    Tomhusker Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising then you should try to eat back your calories and see if that helps. 1400 calories is mighty slim pickin's if you are burning 500-700 calories walking or running.
  • ashleynicoleh04
    ashleynicoleh04 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    you should do the 30DS and elliptical.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Being from a family of overweight people does not mean the odds are against you. That is just an excuse people use to keep being unhealthy. In short there is no 'quick fix' that is not what myfitnesspal is about. This is about changing to good foods versus bad foods and knowing the difference. The dietitian was a good step, so now you know the 1400 calories part. Do you exercise too? If so are you eating the calories you burn during that work out in addition to the 1400 you eat daily?

Eat whole grains, like brown rice and whole wheat bread.
    Eat lots of veggies, they are low calorie and can be the bulk in your meals
    Eat fruits for sweets
    Eat lean protein like skinless chicken.
    Eliminate sugar, refined foods (pre-packaged) and salt as much as you can from your diet.
    Drink lots of water, at LEAST 8 cups a day
    Track everything you eat in your log.

If you do this you will see success. It has been about 25 years since I did boot camp for the Marine Corps. I suggest you start running if you're not already. If you are running, try interval sprint/run to kick the workout up a notch.

Last but not least, do not let any excuse stop you from achieving your goal. You can do it!
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    All a lot of those "quick fix" diets do is empty out your intestines, which is why you will always put the weight back on. You didn't say what exercises you are doing, if any, but if you aren't doing any I suggest doing these three programs: C25K, hundredpushups.com, twohundredsitups.com. I suggest these due to the fitness requirements for getting into the national guard.

I am thinking about going into the guard as well and am over the supposed weight limit, but I figure if I can easily surpass the fitness portion, they won't care a whole lot.
  • vampressmom
    Options
    the most exercise i get comes from chasing a 3 year old around,i have a 360 with a kinect and i do the dance central on that when im able.
  • vampressmom
    Options
    Toibear i did when i went to meps one weekend for all the initial testing.i got measured and was told to get to 170 lbs or lose 2% body fat
  • Bunny711
    Bunny711 Posts: 7
    Options
    C25K, hundredpushups.com, twohundredsitups.com. was mentioned above and I 100% agree with these. With trying to get into the military you will need to pass the PT at basic and a great way to lose fat and gain muscle is to work on the skills you need in the PT. Swimming is also a great workout if you can do that.

I wish you the best of luck.
  • Toibear
    Toibear Posts: 31
    Options
    vampressmom...cool. Make sure that you keep in contact with your Guard recruiter and continue to keep weighed and measured based on the current standards. I am prior Navy and my husband runs a recruiting station so I know your recruiter should not only continue to weigh you adn measure you, but also help give you some workout tips and assistance. Good luck.