So what can I put in my coffee??

Options
I am not a huge coffee drinker, but I like to have a cup every couple of days. In the olden days, I put in 3 teaspoons of sugar, and I weedled that down to 2 teaspoons. I don't want to use that amount of calories up on sugar, though. (I hate empty calories.) But what is safe to use in terms of sweeteners? Am I just restricted to Splenda and the like? (Also, I HATE brewed tea. Wish I loved it, but I can't stand the taste of hot tea AT ALL, so I can't just switch over to that, KWIM?)

Replies

• staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Truvia is an all-natural kosher sweetener made from a plant, so no harmful effects and decently sweet as one packet of Truvia is as sweet as two packets of sugar and is ZERO calories. :)
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    cinnamon and if you must use sweetener use organic honey, the reason I advocate honey vs other sweeteners is the health benefits, even though it has sugar it will not make you fat, it actually has the opposite effect unless you are using tons of it.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I use splenda. I use 3tsp a day for my morning coffee.
  • I use stevia in my tea since I don't drink hot coffee. The hubby hates the taste but I haven't tasted a difference.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Try flavored creamer they have "lite" versions of them too.
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I switched to vanilla flavored soy milk.
  • forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Another fan of truvia here! :smile:
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I either drink it black or I add 1 tsp of almond milk.
  • TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    Options
    I use Stevia as well... just as sweet when using half the amount of sugar.. and if I use too much, it does have an aftertaste..
  • BethG39
    BethG39 Posts: 17
    Options
    I used to put splenda in my coffee w/ skim milk. Now I use So Delicious Coconut Milk Creamer in the Vanilla flavor. The Vanilla gives it that little bit of sweetness that I like.
  • digihed1
    digihed1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sun Crystals is another Stevia alternative to Truvia. I use it just in coffee and it isn't bad. It's a mix of stevia and pure cane sugar.
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I used Splenda until I realized it gave me terrible headaches. I used Stevia until I realized it upset my stomach a bit. Now I use agave nectar or honey in moderation. Have had to get used the the taste of coffee without so much in it if it is something I want to keep in my diet.
    I like the almond milk idea!
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I still go with sugar. It's natural, no chemical production necessary and it's non-carcinogenic. 24 calories of sugar is worth knowing what I'm eating in my mind. I do NOT trust all those fake sweeteners by any stretch. Oh and 2 tsps is about 24 cals. So do 10 jumping jacks - that should take care of it. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • sarahazelnut99
    sarahazelnut99 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    vanilla flavored almond milk :-)
  • pandairwin
    pandairwin Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You can also try coconut creamer. Low in calorie and a little sweet. I can only find it at whole foods.

I am a huge coffee drinker. I went cold turkey and went to black. I am shocked that I love it so much. I couldnt believe how many calories I was wasting with cream and sugar.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Sugar free flavored creamers are great! Also light vanilla soy milk
  • army_cobra
    army_cobra Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i would say if your not a huge coffee drinker, then stop drinking it all together. I use to drink it but i stopped and feel much better. To really answer your question i dont know i drank it black
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I use 1 tablespoon of French Vanilla creamer...35 calories. I used to use 2 splendas also, but ran out and just haven't gotten more. It did taste so much better with sweetener. I am getting used to the taste without it, but it's just not the same. I will have to look into Truvia.
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I recently got Stevia for just that purpose. While Truvia is calorie free, it is actually still a processed sugar substitute. It is blended with Stevia, but Stevia is a leaf and all natural. So, try to stay away from all processed sweetners since they are not good for you. And, Stevia is also calorie free.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I switched to agave nectar. Honey in coffee is blech (to my taste buds). Agave nectar has a great molasses-y undertone that works great with coffee and it is released into the bloodstream slower than sugar, so it doesn’t cause the same insulin spike. I still add 1 tsp of heavy cream or milk, depending on the day. But I have heard great things about the taste of almond milk in coffee.