power walking only exercise

Options
I was wondering if power walking anywhere from 3 mph-4 mph at least 60 minutes (but more like 90-120 minutes) per day, every day will help me lose weight and shape up my thighs, hips and stomach? It's the only exercise (besides crunches and daily day to day things) I do but I do it twice a day faithfully. I really need to lose the thigh/hip/stomach area!!! And walking is the best thing for me to have time for.

Replies

• Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    It's all I've been doing, and it's worked beautifully for me!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    you have 3 hours a day to exercise ? Thats great!!!!! of course walking will help but with that kind of time add some kind of weight training in there 3 days a week half hour to 45 min. Muscle burns more calories all day long and your body will appear smaller if you have more muscle Good luck and keep on trucking.
  • bedazzledmom
    Options
    In the Spring/Summer and Fall I power walk 30-60min daily, and you will notice your thighs looking better for sure! :wink:
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    absolutely!!

Walking, especially power walking, is the best exercise you can give your body because of how gentle it is on the joints and how effective it is on the heart. Too, power walking in particular is highly effective for fat and total body weight loss and its effects on the heart, as power walking is considered cardiovascular activity.

I have been an active power walker (Spring to Autumn) for the past four years because I can no longer run and automatically lose weight and inches as a result. And, if you hit a plateau, you can always do interval power walking training (I can help you with that if you want) or wear wrist/hand weights and add a back pack with weights to make your muscles work harder to carry the extra load and thereby burning more calories (I can coach you on that too if you want). Send me a friend request if you would like more info, support or guidance.

So definitely, power walking is a highly effective workout!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if power walking anywhere from 3 mph-4 mph at least 60 minutes (but more like 90-120 minutes) per day, every day will help me lose weight and shape up my thighs, hips and stomach? It's the only exercise (besides crunches and daily day to day things) I do but I do it twice a day faithfully. I really need to lose the thigh/hip/stomach area!!! And walking is the best thing for me to have time for.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/187973-an-email-response-that-might-help-some?page=1#posts-2493477. Please read. Adding in some strength training to your workout can decrease your body fat and keep from burning off muscle mass - this happens with diet and cardio. You can't 'tone' your muscles. They can't get harder, only bigger and/or stronger OR smaller and/or weaker. We all have 6-pack abs. We just have to burn off that layer of fat hiding them.

And you need to 'switch up' your exercise routine. If you are doing the same exercise every day after a while your body will adjust to the routine and you won't get the same benefits as you did in the beginning.

A lean muscle mass increase - building muscle; you won't 'bulk up' - will increase your metabolism and you will burn more fat during rest, normal activity and sleeping.

And this applies more as you get towards your goal weight. But don't give up the cardio - still very, very important for overall cardiovascular health. No point in having a healthy body if your heart isn't!
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    http://health.yahoo.net/rodale/WH/lose-your-fear-of-lifting
    Read and add lifting for a better life
  • ginajala39
    ginajala39 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I believe I've hit a plateo and would love to here more about the interval power walking....Is that when u walk and run together?