Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

question about sodium allowances

2»

Replies

• TamDTam
    TamDTam Posts: 115
    As I said before, I am only worried about it as far as bloat leading to weight "gain", not health conditions. I think it's unlikely that after 23 years of never monitoring sodium and getting in way more than I probably "should" have and still getting extremely healthy physicals, blood pressure readings, etc. that it's all of a sudden going to pose a health problem if I go over one day a week. I also have no history whatsoever of these health problems like heart disease and high blood pressure. Actually, I have family history of low blood pressure. So only interested in EFFECTS TOWARDS BLOATING/BAD WEIGH-INS. Thanks.

its you choice, but personally I find it irresponsible to say the likes of " I dont have a family history and ive done it for this long with no ill-affects so it shouldnt matter"
    MUCH of what we eat/drink doesnt show its ugly side until much later on in life when the damage it too far gone to correct...
  • agdeierl
    agdeierl Posts: 378 Member
    As I said before, I am only worried about it as far as bloat leading to weight "gain", not health conditions. I think it's unlikely that after 23 years of never monitoring sodium and getting in way more than I probably "should" have and still getting extremely healthy physicals, blood pressure readings, etc. that it's all of a sudden going to pose a health problem if I go over one day a week. I also have no history whatsoever of these health problems like heart disease and high blood pressure. Actually, I have family history of low blood pressure. So only interested in EFFECTS TOWARDS BLOATING/BAD WEIGH-INS. Thanks.

its you choice, but personally I find it irresponsible to say the likes of " I dont have a family history and ive done it for this long with no ill-affects so it shouldnt matter"
    MUCH of what we eat/drink doesnt show its ugly side until much later on in life when the damage it too far gone to correct...

Your statement implies that I regularly over-indulge in sodium-rich foods. That is not the case. If you'll read my above post again, you'll see that I say I only have trouble staying under my sodium allowance ONE day a week. The rest of the days I am way under. So I really don't agree that I'm being "irresponsible".
  • agdeierl
    Thank you everyone for your help/advice! I am just going to do my best and not worry about it. I guess it was silly to ask such a question and I was just looking for some comfort/reassurance. :smile:
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Wasn't sayin it was disrespectful. You cant disrespect me. All I'm sayin is that the "patently" makes you sound like you're trying to be superior and all. Your not. lol
    [/quote]

You have a point. Point taken.
  • agdeierl
    Now I just regret asking the question, because, as always, it has resulted in petty arguments and name-calling. How about we all act like adults and just let comments we don't like go? So what if he says salt is his best friend? Nobody's saying it has to be yours! I promise you, anyone who is of sound mind enough to continue with this journey knows well enough that excessive sodium is not good for you. There's no reason to get your panties all in a twist over it!

Sorry, guys, I guess I over reacted a little. :embarassed: I hope I didn't offend anyone/come off too rude or mean. I just get frustrated when I feel like people allow themselves to become enemies over something like sodium! I just want us to all get along! :flowerforyou:
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    from an athlete's perspective don't worry about it. a little extra water retention will show on the scale but if your doing any kind of extensive exercise this is a good thing it prevents dehydration. if your exercising 3 times per week, and trying desperately to stay under 1.5g, this is far more dangerous than even 3g without exercise. not only will it be virtually impossible to stay hydrated, but hypotension is far more common and far more dangerous than hypertension. besides that when you get up to 2500, 3000 calories how the hell do you stay under 3g. like I said this is from an athletes perspective, I have a very active lifestyle, I have for most of my life. on top of that heart complications due to hypotension and low cholesterol run in my family.
  • agdeierl
    from an athlete's perspective don't worry about it. a little extra water retention will show on the scale but if your doing any kind of extensive exercise this is a good thing it prevents dehydration. if your exercising 3 times per week, and trying desperately to stay under 1.5g, this is far more dangerous than even 3g without exercise. not only will it be virtually impossible to stay hydrated, but hypotension is far more common and far more dangerous than hypertension. besides that when you get up to 2500, 3000 calories how the hell do you stay under 3g. like I said this is from an athletes perspective, I have a very active lifestyle, I have for most of my life. on top of that heart complications due to hypotension and low cholesterol run in my family.

This is informative and interesting. I like getting an athlete's perspective. I cannot yet call myself one, but it's in the works! I do work out regularly (at least 3 times a week) and at high intensity each time. Thanks for addressing my concerns!