Where to start whole food diet?

Options
I have been doing low carb, high protein...would like to start a whole foods diet...any suggestions on where to start? I'm interested in seeing meals for bfast, lunch and dinner. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I just started this past weekend, but you are welcome to view my diary (you'll have to add me as a friend :) I'm not going crazy with the whole foods thing, but am trying to cut out a lot of processed foods and sodas...let me know what you think, I feel good and healthy and have not been feeling hungry or deprived at all, so I feel like I'm on the right track...for me, anyway ;)

Ellen
  • Gwooh
    Gwooh Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just added you!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I primarily eat a whole foods based diet. It's simply about eating foods in their most natural form and minimizing the presence of processed foods in your diet.

For most people, the starting point is looking for healthier substitutions. A few places to start::

Rolled oats (NOT instant or from a packet) instead of cereal
    Fresh or frozen vegetables instead of canned
    Leftovers of "from scratch" meals rather than Lean Cusine
    Plain no sugar yogurt w/fresh fruit instead of fruit flavored yogurt

You get the idea.

As for meals, the simpler the better. A typical day usually looks like this:

B: oatmeal or some sort of veggie omelette (1 egg/2 eggwhites) and fruit
    L: some sort of salad or soup (homemade)
    D: Protein and veggie and maybe a healthy carb (brown rice/sweet potatoes)
    S: Fresh fruits and veggies

You don't have to ditch everything: most people have some convenience items/treats. For me it's canned tomatoes and beans and occasionally pasta. If you do buy processed items, look for those with minimal/recognizeable ingredients.

I make my sauces and soups from scratch and usually my salad dressing. Although I have found some dressings lately w/minimal ingredients and not a lot of additives that are less calories/fat than what I have been making.
  • inkdgirl
    inkdgirl Posts: 79
    Options
    Check out Tosca Reno's Eat Clean website, lots of good info there..

hope that helps!

Best of luck!
  • julesandrich
    julesandrich Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to check out my diary....I have really made an effort to cut out processed foods and typically eat organically as much as I can. I feel that it is better for my family. I still buy granola (have been afriad to make my own) and lunch meat. I am pretty good most days but sometimes I still fall for the convience of processed, pre-made foods when I super pressed for time.