OT: Bathroom Design Opinion

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
Hey all, we are updating our main hall bathroom in our condo and put black and white floor tiles in. We are trying to figure out what color to paint the walls. White would look fine but we are trying give it a warmer/soothing feel. It's a pretty small bathroom, no window, but super high ceilings and a skylight so there is a lot of natural light. We have a new white pedestal sink and will probably get a new white toilet as well.

Opinions??

Thanks! :bigsmile:
-Tam

Replies

• TamTastic
    Options
    Hey all, we are updating our main hall bathroom in our condo and put black and white floor tiles in. We are trying to figure out what color to paint the walls. White would look fine but we are trying give it a warmer/soothing feel. It's a pretty small bathroom, no window, but super high ceilings and a skylight so there is a lot of natural light. We have a new white pedestal sink and will probably get a new white toilet as well.

Opinions??

Thanks! :bigsmile:
    -Tam
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Blue or green is always good for bathrooms. It's very soothing. I would say purple too, but I know how my husband is about painting things purple, and I think every man is the same way. :tongue:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I LOVE looking at decorating sites. For some good ideas for small spaces try: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com

Very cool ideas there. :smile:

Does this restroom have a bath or shower where you could brighten it up w/a shower curtain? Maybe some bright towels or prints to give it some color?

You could even just paint the ceiling for a contrast. How fun!!! :drinker:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

We re-did our small bathroom in our old house (black and white)
    We opted for a nice pale/bright yellow....
    We've been to a ZILLION open houses and I've seen black and white paired with a really pretty blue/grey color as well as a soft pretty sage green
    I preferred to yellow or blue/grey (it was really a pretty soft grey with just a tinge of blue)
    Something I never would have thought would look good, until I saw it

Good luck
    Kim
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I LOVE looking at decorating sites. For some good ideas for small spaces try: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com

Very cool ideas there. :smile:

Does this restroom have a bath or shower where you could brighten it up w/a shower curtain? Maybe some bright towels or prints to give it some color?

You could even just paint the ceiling for a contrast. How fun!!! :drinker:
    There is a full bathtub/shower combo in it as well. So we can definitely put a shower curtain in there too. Painting the ceiling might be a bit hard. We have those "cathedral" type ceilings and while my hubby THINKS he can paint the walls ok using a ladder (he is almost 6'4"), I am concerned he might break his neck doing even that!! LOL!
  • TamTastic
    Options
    Hi

We re-did out small bathroom in our old house (black and white)
    We opted for a nice pale/bright yellow....
    We've been to a ZILLION open houses and I've seen black and white paired with a really pretty blue/grey color as well as a soft pretty sage green
    I preferred to yellow or blue/grey (it was really a pretty soft grey with just a tinge of blue)
    Something I never would have thought would look good, until I saw it

Good luck
    Kim

I was thinking a yellowish, but I will check out the blueish/grey combos too. Looking on Benjamin Moore's site.
  • LadyZen
    LadyZen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think that a pretty calm green like a sage or something like that would be nice. Maybe accent with black and white pictures of peaceful things like flowers or natural things.
  • lindizzzy
    lindizzzy Posts: 29
    Options
    blue would probably compliment the skylight

good luck :smile:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Google image "black and white bathrooms". There's some pretty cool ones pictured.

Not a bathroom, but this carpet would make me fall! :laugh:

morgans.jpg
  • LadyZen
    LadyZen Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Google image "black and white bathrooms". There's some pretty cool ones pictured.

Not a bathroom, but this carpet would make me fall! :laugh:

morgans.jpg

I would constantly feel drunk!!!! Maybe that's not too bad of an idea:drinker: :smile:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    :sick: I feel dizzy looking at that LOL

I like light grey w/ a hint of blue or even lavender....I love decorating! lol

let us know what you go for girl!:heart:

hugs!
    ali
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I agree with the blue/gray color.
    Oh... found a nice website for you to try out some colors:
    http://www.valsparatlowes.com/painter.html?image=val_tra_bath_3.jpg&colors=4005-9A,7004-3,4005-10B,4005-9C
  • TamTastic
    Options
    WOW! There are so many shades of blues, greys, greens!! How do you choose??? LOL!

I think I will stop by home depot later and get a few samples to see what would look good against the tile. I am liking sort of a smoky grey/blue...hey, it is technically MY bathroom. Since we have 2 full baths....my hubby takes the full bath off our master bedroom, and I take the hall one...so I want it to be my escape!! Bubble bath city!!
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    We're re-doing our bathroom too..our "1 week remodel" has already passed the 2 week mark..and it's far from done..ARGH! I guess that's what happens when you have family doing your projects, it always comes last.

Anyways, back to your problem..I would think that a pale blue/grey or yellow would look nice. I wouldn't go with white because you want the walls to pop..plus, white walls get dirty looking quickly.
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    We just finished our bathroom. We also used the black and white floor tiles, like a checkerboard. My whole bathroom is black and white. My suggestion would be to paint it white and find some black accents. Our friends tease us and say we have a redneck bathroom. We put one row of black floor tiles all around our bathroom, kinda like a border. Good luck!