SMart food choices to for calories

Options
wewon
wewon Posts: 838 Member
Another newbie question:

I understand that I need a certain amount of calories to stay healthy.

I also understand that along with calories that the nutritional content is import.

The problem is, as I go through the database and start making healthy choices in food select. I find that simply getting the recommended amount of (healthy) calories is actually pretty difficult.

Avoiding the junk, I'm having a hard time making up my allotted calories, let alone "eating" my exercise calories.

I'm in constant grazing mode and still falling short on my daily calories.

What foods do you eat to get enough calories in a smart and healthy way?

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    If you find that you're missing your calorie goal, try adding in some brown rice for fiber (about 200 calories per cup) or some nuts or avocados for healthy fats and proteins.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Are you eating lots of fiberous veggies? Adding any healthy fats? Almonds, natural almond or peanut butter, avocado, olive oil, etc. add lots of calories without adding much quantity. If you open your diary, you could get better suggestions.
  • lasydaze83
    lasydaze83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Apples are a good start, they are high in fiber. Celery and homemade hummus is also a good snack for you, or celery with 2 tbsp of natural peanut butter, or almond butter. Smooth vegetable soups made with nonfat organic chicken or vegetable broth are my favorite. They will fill you up for awhile and most if made properly have NOMSG, are low in sodium, next to no fat (esp if you use olive oil spray and not olive oil) and have around 100calories a serving.

I know i'm a grazer, and i've been really good about entering everything in my diary. It makes me more consious of what i'm eating. Also I tend to drink at least 2 cups of green tea. It's 0 calories, helps reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, dental cavities, kidney stones etc, and i've hear it's a natural way to boost your metabolism. I just drink it because like drinking water it helps me feel full so i'm less likely to snack. Hope this helps :)
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Are you eating lots of fiberous veggies? Adding any healthy fats? Almonds, natural almond or peanut butter, avocado, olive oil, etc. add lots of calories without adding much quantity. If you open your diary, you could get better suggestions.

I've actually been eating a lot of beans, corn, chickpeas, brussels sprouts ect.

But I'm training for a half-marathon and am concerned that my exercise calories are really stomping on the equation.

I should start adding nuts and nut products though. I actually never considered those.

On a slightly different note: How do you make your diary public so that people can put my questions into context?
  • jamie1888
    Options
    Go to "home", "settings" "diary settings"
  • jamie1888
    Options
    If you are doing a lot of running, it's VERY important that you are giving your body enough energy to fuel those runs!