Calories burned at work

Options
So, I bought a new HRM and I wore it to work today. I am up and down a lot so I wanted to see how many calories I burned, and it ended up being about 300 calories or so. Does anyone add these to their exercise for the day? Should I just ignore these calories because I wasnt "earning" them by exercising???? -Cassie

Replies

• RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Ignore them...it's part of your regular activity.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    The calories you burn doing your day to day life are already incorporated in your activity level. So... no, don't count them. Only count above and beyond what you normally do/did each day.
  • javalette
    Options
    Hi CassieLeo! That's a good question. I've been assuming that regular daily "exercise" like walking at work was included with the calorie assumption for your age/gender/activity level.
  • blessed9993
    blessed9993 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm always running around at work. I use my walking my rounds as excercise.
  • beesareyellow
    beesareyellow Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    When MFP calculates your BMR and your calorie goals, it takes in to account your daily activity level. You really should not be counting these calories as they are part of your daily routine.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    When you started MFP, they asked you what your dailya ctivity level was, you should have marked Medium or HIgh Activity at which they are already counted for.
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Well, I put myself as sedentary, but I havent been being sedentary lately, so im not sure what I am now. I walk around in spurts at work, so its hard to tell. My legs have been hurting me lately, but ive been exercising more too. SO, I wanted to see how many calories.
    Also, another question is, I know my basic calorie burn (as if I was in a coma) is about 1450. So im confused. LOL!!! I know big "Duh" but I am trying to figure this all out...Thanks guys for helping me!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Don't count them. It's part of your every day activities and your body is used to them. Also, MFP already incorporates them into your plan during profile setup.
  • melly28
    melly28 Posts: 26
    Options
    I have my file set to "lightly active" and don't count what I do for work in that. I only work one or two days a week, but am constantly moving, cleaning, bending, etc, so on the days I do work I count it in my exercise. Hope that helps! :)
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your help guys!!!! I really appreciate it!!!