Question about adding exercise on mfp

Options
I noticed that when I add in my exercise, my total calories for the day increases. Am I really supposed to eat more when I exercise? It seems kinda pointless to exercise if I'm just expected to consume more food?

Replies

• ErikN
    ErikN Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dont eat those calories if you aren't hungry, but if you exercise a lot, say 500+ calories, I think your body does need a bit of extra food for fuel.
  • CynPierce15
    CynPierce15 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can eat them and still lose weight
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Eat them back and look through the forum. There is a TON of info on why you should...
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    Dont eat those calories if you aren't hungry, but if you exercise a lot, say 500+ calories, I think your body does need a bit of extra food for fuel.

I struggle with this too, but this is good advice. Well put. Thanks!! :))
  • KatyE213
    KatyE213 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    There is a LOT of info on the bulletin boards about this topic, i suggest you search through and you will find out why you are meant to eat back at least some of your exercise calories. But opinion does vary a lot and everybody is different, think its a bit of trial and error with everybody as to what works for them. Good luck
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You should eat those calories.

MFP already calculates a 500 calorie deficit for you, and then you burn more by exercising. In order to net the right amount of calories to fuel your body, you need to eat more than you would if you weren't exercising-- especially since your body will need more energy to build muscle, which it will want to build when you are exercising.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    You do not have to eat all the calories, but it is recommended. Your deficit shouldn't go under 1200 cals per day, but as long as you eat SOME of your earned calories to suffice your body, it's OK. Maybe you should eat a little more during the beginning of the day if you know you will be working out later on so you don't have as much to eat.
  • staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Oh, the reason why eating them still works is that you are more than likely eating less calories than you were before you started working out. For example. My goal is 1200 without working out. When I work out, I try to eat around a third to half my earned calories, unless I am full, cause you should never force yourself to eat unless you have to. When I look back at what I was eating before I started to keep track, I was eating 2500+ cals a day with absolutely NO exercise. So, now I eat my 1200 and burn 600+ in a workout, I usually eat anywhere between 200 and 300 of those cals and I am still eating WAY less than what i was before.
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of these posts...The only time I eat back is if mine says 100 or more, but most of the time I just know I'm going to excercise so I go ahead and plan my whole day to go over then figure my workout for that night so that it balances out. But if I do eat them back I try to have like fruit or something..Hope this helps