Alright, which one of you did it???

Options
HOLD UP!!! I know why you are REALLY happy...Your DH threw his snake collection out, right???

From the Washingtonpost.com

Fun in Fairfax, VA:

Sure, the movie "Snakes on a Plane" was scary. But how about this sequel: "Snakes in a Cheap Motel Room"?

Fairfax City police said they found 17 exotic snakes, 12 of them venomous, inside Room 11 of the Hy-Way Motel near Fairfax Circle on Thursday night after the motel's management alerted them to a foul odor. The snakes took up residence at the Hy-Way on Sunday and were not detected by the housekeeping staff because they were concealed in luggage, police said.

Two of the smaller snakes, possibly future meals for their larger brethren, passed away during their vacation at the Hy-Way, police said, creating the telltale odor that led to their sudden eviction yesterday.

Police said the reptiles might belong to an Arlington County man who proudly kept as many as 100 exotic snakes in his home until county authorities recently moved against him.

The snakes did not endear him to the neighbors, who occasionally came across the random Mexican lancehead rattlesnake rambling about the 'hood. So in May, Arlington passed an ordinance banning venomous snakes and other poisonous reptiles.

Fairfax City Lt. Mike Artone said that a man paid for a week in advance at the Hy-Way and that the man "may be involved in some kind of similar case in Arlington County." He did not disclose the man's name because he had not been charged with a crime -- though it has long been illegal in Fairfax City to harbor venomous snakes -- and had not been located by the police.

Arlington officials said yesterday that Peter T. Nguyen, 39, of Quintana Street in North Arlington, had been given a deadline of July 1 to remove all venomous creatures from his home. Police Detective Crystal Nosal said she did not know whether animal control officers had visited Nguyen to be sure his home was venom-free.

Fairfax City police said late yesterday that an "unnamed Arlington man" called them, after being contacted by a reporter, and volunteered that, yes, the snakes of the Hy-Way Motel were indeed his.

Lt. Bert Peacher said the man planned to come to police headquarters today and pick up his summons, a misdemeanor, for harboring venomous snakes, which could subject him to a fine if convicted. The man's name would be released then.

Nguyen could not be reached for comment yesterday. He declined to speak with WRC-TV (Channel 4).

Peacher said the man explained that he was in the process of snake divestiture, had sent a number of his scaly friends to Florida but had one last batch in the area. The man said that he had placed the deadly reptiles with a friend but that the friend had to return them unexpectedly. This led the man to stash them at the Hy-Way, Peacher said, and he was unaware that they had been discovered and relocated.

Fairfax City police checked other area motels and hotels and did not find any legless guests.

Police said the snakes had been stored in vented plastic boxes, which were placed inside large vinyl bags throughout Room 11. Housekeepers who checked the room did not see anything disturbed and had no reason to open the bags, including some next to the mirrored headboard. The guest who rented the room apparently was not staying there.

But the foul odor caused the motel's proprietor to call police Thursday night, Artone said, and after discovering the slithery but seemingly contained menagerie, officers backed off until more-expert snake-handlers could be summoned.

An animal control officer and two snake experts visited the Hy-Way yesterday to catalogue the snakes and oversee their removal to an exotic-animal zoo in central Virginia, police said. The breeds included African puff adders, cottonmouths, rhinoceros vipers, albino cottonmouths, speckled rattlesnakes and a black-headed python, police said.

I'm not sure what bothers me more...The snakes all bundled in cages and bags...Or the mirror on the headboard?

PH2008071103177.jpg

Replies

• PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    HOLD UP!!! I know why you are REALLY happy...Your DH threw his snake collection out, right???

From the Washingtonpost.com

Fun in Fairfax, VA:

Sure, the movie "Snakes on a Plane" was scary. But how about this sequel: "Snakes in a Cheap Motel Room"?

Fairfax City police said they found 17 exotic snakes, 12 of them venomous, inside Room 11 of the Hy-Way Motel near Fairfax Circle on Thursday night after the motel's management alerted them to a foul odor. The snakes took up residence at the Hy-Way on Sunday and were not detected by the housekeeping staff because they were concealed in luggage, police said.

Two of the smaller snakes, possibly future meals for their larger brethren, passed away during their vacation at the Hy-Way, police said, creating the telltale odor that led to their sudden eviction yesterday.

Police said the reptiles might belong to an Arlington County man who proudly kept as many as 100 exotic snakes in his home until county authorities recently moved against him.

The snakes did not endear him to the neighbors, who occasionally came across the random Mexican lancehead rattlesnake rambling about the 'hood. So in May, Arlington passed an ordinance banning venomous snakes and other poisonous reptiles.

Fairfax City Lt. Mike Artone said that a man paid for a week in advance at the Hy-Way and that the man "may be involved in some kind of similar case in Arlington County." He did not disclose the man's name because he had not been charged with a crime -- though it has long been illegal in Fairfax City to harbor venomous snakes -- and had not been located by the police.

Arlington officials said yesterday that Peter T. Nguyen, 39, of Quintana Street in North Arlington, had been given a deadline of July 1 to remove all venomous creatures from his home. Police Detective Crystal Nosal said she did not know whether animal control officers had visited Nguyen to be sure his home was venom-free.

Fairfax City police said late yesterday that an "unnamed Arlington man" called them, after being contacted by a reporter, and volunteered that, yes, the snakes of the Hy-Way Motel were indeed his.

Lt. Bert Peacher said the man planned to come to police headquarters today and pick up his summons, a misdemeanor, for harboring venomous snakes, which could subject him to a fine if convicted. The man's name would be released then.

Nguyen could not be reached for comment yesterday. He declined to speak with WRC-TV (Channel 4).

Peacher said the man explained that he was in the process of snake divestiture, had sent a number of his scaly friends to Florida but had one last batch in the area. The man said that he had placed the deadly reptiles with a friend but that the friend had to return them unexpectedly. This led the man to stash them at the Hy-Way, Peacher said, and he was unaware that they had been discovered and relocated.

Fairfax City police checked other area motels and hotels and did not find any legless guests.

Police said the snakes had been stored in vented plastic boxes, which were placed inside large vinyl bags throughout Room 11. Housekeepers who checked the room did not see anything disturbed and had no reason to open the bags, including some next to the mirrored headboard. The guest who rented the room apparently was not staying there.

But the foul odor caused the motel's proprietor to call police Thursday night, Artone said, and after discovering the slithery but seemingly contained menagerie, officers backed off until more-expert snake-handlers could be summoned.

An animal control officer and two snake experts visited the Hy-Way yesterday to catalogue the snakes and oversee their removal to an exotic-animal zoo in central Virginia, police said. The breeds included African puff adders, cottonmouths, rhinoceros vipers, albino cottonmouths, speckled rattlesnakes and a black-headed python, police said.

I'm not sure what bothers me more...The snakes all bundled in cages and bags...Or the mirror on the headboard?

PH2008071103177.jpg
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Oh my!!!:noway:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    Nice bed cover too...BAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ((ya'll know how much I like backgrounds!))
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Yep the mirror on the headboard scares me more!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    scared.gif

My family would be picking out coffin liners for me if I went in that room. {{{shudder}}}
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    That's really weird.... pets like that sure aren't cheap... why would someone just LEAVE them there?
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    That's really weird.... pets like that sure aren't cheap... why would someone just LEAVE them there?

He was hiding them there because they are illegal to have in your home and he was being investigated. Probably not the most well thought out plan.
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    Ya, why couldn't he of just bought a dog or cat like everyone else. ::humph::
  • michaelhe
    michaelhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Nice bed cover too...BAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ((ya'll know how much I like backgrounds!))

And I see the infamous toilet paper roll too!! :laugh:
  • michaelhe
    michaelhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oh ... one more thing Princess... if my wife catches me reading this board and sees that picture of you in your bikini then I'll be banned from this place ... if she let's me live!
  • mello
    mello Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    That mirror is so far down on that headboard that........well nevermind.:noway:

That is one Class-aay Dive!!!
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options

And I see the infamous toilet paper roll too!! :laugh:

I was GOING to bring that up...but thought...no, I think the room speaks for itself. WHEW! Thanks though, it needed to be said. LOL

Love a toilet paper roll in the background, and a lid up. GAG!!! :noway:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    Oh ... one more thing Princess... if my wife catches me reading this board and sees that picture of you in your bikini then I'll be banned from this place ... if she let's me live!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: How funny!
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    I HATE SNAKES, JOCK. I HATE 'EM!