spot reducing

Options
Ok I was told there was no such thing as spot reducing, I ride my stationary bike 17mph 30 minutes 5 days a week now my hips are slimming out I don't want my hips to slim out BC I really don't have hips, I need them to look curvy when I lose my gut and thighs. My thighs are getting smaller my calves are really nice and slimmed out. But what about my gut and my upper body It's not losing inches as fast as my lower body. Whats causing this. I love riding my bike I have strong legs I do workout the other parts of my body Now why isn't my upper fat falling down to my hips if there is no such thing as spot reducing.

Somebody please help, tell me what I am doing wrong I want to lose fat all over not just my hips and thighs and legs Oh and my knees use to be covered in fat they aren't anymore I can see my knees but I still need advice. While my upper body seems to be in sleep mode. Minus the definition from the weights. How to start losing all over.

MY Workout
Mon, Thur, Sat: Morning Bike 30 minutes Bob Harper Inside out Method or 1hr total body weight workout. Evening 30-45 on treadmil 3.5 miles hr. Need lots of Cardio to get the fat off.

Tues, Wed, Fri 1hr Cardio I mix it up, treadmill, 60min on bike, or DVD
Sunday rest

Replies

• missy1970eb
    missy1970eb Posts: 1,209
    Options
    why dont u try a gym ball, there r loads u can do with it for upper and lower body, great for the stomach:smile:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Try strength training for your upper body. Even just doing girl pushups or hammer curls with cans of food are a good start, and they'll help build some muscle in your upper body. Muscle burns fat, and it'll help tone up what's under the fat in the meantime, so you'll look better during the process.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Also, I just read your statement about needing lots of cardio to burn the fat off -- that's both true and false. At some point doing more cardio is not really useful. Strength training needs to be in there somewhere, not only because muscle burns fat, but also because doing a ton of cardio can lead to losing muscle mass, which isn't doing you any favors. I'm not against cardio, and I don't know if what you're doing is too much or not, but you need to do things other than cardio to help shape your body.
  • jjjghoffert
    Options
    We all have areas that shape up faster than others. If you haven't reached your goal weight yet the areas that you are having trouble with may be the last ones to go.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: I don't know nothin' and I prove it almost everday. Now having said that:

Not spot reducing as in fat removal from exercise. But working those muscle groups will help tone and change the shape of an area.

So if you work your abs you will see some visible changes there over time while losing fat from other areas on your body.

So for toning, go tone something else. :bigsmile:
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Whoa thank-you I do get tired of exercising 2xs a day. I thought I was speeding things up. I went to a site called how to lose 50lbs in 3 months he said do cardio 2xs a day.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction is indeed a myth. And everyone loses fat at different rates in different parts of their bodies.

IMO, some weight lifting will do a world of good for you.