Nucking Futs

Options
So, I can't stop eating. Seriously crazy here. Not hungry, just antsy. Mindless. I attribute some of it to hormones - but it's just so... mindless. Nothing seems to "hit" the spot. It's only 4pm. Tried working out, but when I got done, I was still food-obsessed. Went for a bike ride - - - immediately came home and looked in the cabinets.

Trying to opt for low cal foods so the volume doesn't matter, but... sheesh. Going nuts.The *only* silver lining I've got is at least I'm tracking it all. Oh man, gonna be UUGGLLYY at the end of the day. If I'm over by less than 1,500, I'll be shocked.

It's really addictive behavior. Like I said, I'm not hungry. I can't seem to distract myself. I'm absolutely obsessed with putting food in my mouth right now. I *am* pre-period, so hormones are a factor. But it's just really insane. This happens about every other month. It usually lasts a day and the magically passes. I don't understand it, and I can't seem to avoid the craziness.

I've tried to assess my life status and my feelings - it doesn't seem related. I do have some construction going on in the house and that puts me on edge, work is crazy (but it's always crazy), the home-life is good and the boyfriend is great, just finished a 14 day natural detox where I avoided preservatives and actually feeling super, but... alas, here I am.

Anyone else have this?

(And, if I can just go on record, I'd prefer not to hear, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." 1st - I don't agree. 2nd - this isn't about taste or mindful eating. What I'm feeling is very much irrational. Constructive ideas are VERY welcome, but I think a trite response might just push me over the edge.)

Replies

• tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I go through the same thing same thing usually due to hormones I just try to keep my mind occupied and keep low calorie food handy and exercise adds to mine but I seem hungrier even on a normal day when I workout .really not sure how to control it I just try to stay busy
  • afteil
    afteil Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds stupid, but have you tried getting sugarfree gum? You might just want something to chew on, so that will keep you chewing and salivating without actually consuming a ton of calories.
    I understand how it feels to want to just munch on food all the time, i am seriously guilty of that- or was for a long time. For me, it just took a lot of willpower and trying to keep busy in other ways so I wouldnt think about eating. One thing that helped to get me by was keeping a big bottle of water with me all the time, so whenever i felt like chewing on something I would drink water instead. Another thing that helped was eating frozen things- like frozen fruit pops or frozen grapes, since most of the time those take a little longer to eat so that you are distracted for longer without getting a huge amount of calories

I hope this helps a little
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    When I get that way I do one of a few things, because it is usually just a urge to be chewing, not necessarily eating. I either chew gum or eat ice. If that doesn't work I at least go for something low cal like cantaloupe, strawberries, low fat yogurt. I don't even keep the stuff in my house that I'm not supposed to be eating. I kept it around for a long time, but it was way too tempting. I donated it all to the neighbors and a food pantry. I know how you feel though. I have days where I could literally eat the paint off the walls!
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone. I've felt like this countless times before too! I hear you loud and clear when you say nothing seems to hit the spot, and I'm constantly going back for more.

In my case, I know it only lasts for a day or two, so I don't get that worried about it. There are days when all I want to do is eat, and there are days when I'm not all that hungry. It's just what my body is telling me it wants.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Try eating more fiber and more protein..... and drink a lot of water.

I get like that and I realize I'm snacking too much on handfuls of this and that rather than planning my 5-6 small meals rich in protein and fiber (lean meat, fish, quinoa, veggies, fruit, yogurt, cottage cheese...etc). If you plan out what you are going to eat and when you will be eating then you won't be eating mindlessly.... Hope that helps. It helps me stay on track.
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Something that's worked for me in the past:

Step 1) Leave money at home. Bring water and some snacks.
    Step 2) Leave the house. Go to somewhere like the mall, a park, a library, whatever.
    Step 3) Walk. Sit. Read a book. Call people from your cellphone and have long conversations.

Also, big bags of lettuce or spinach or salad mix. Mindless, SUPER low-cal, filling, not going to blow your day.
  • skinnymoomoo
    skinnymoomoo Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Lol sorry, this made me giggle a little, I feel like this sometimes, I crave something, but I dunno what the eff it is lol
    For instance, Its now gone 11pm and I have just ate a mars bar, why? i dunno, i thought I really fancied one and since i had left over cals I didnt see why not, but now I have just ate it and i feel ill LOL thats not what I wanted, and if i could be bothered to get up and go back downstairs then I would find something else to munch on, I dont want the healthy stuff, I want some cheese or chocolate (evidently not though) or something else that is crap.

My mam is terrible for picking all day, when not hungry, I can usually stop myself (8 out of 10 times) but she is really bad for it, I've suggested to her maybe chewing gum, but that doesnt stop the hand to mouth thing, ooh maybe sucking lollypops, sugar free ones or something.?

When I stopped smoking that is what i found hard to get past, the hand to mouth action of smoking, so i started chewing a pen lol, or doing little fiddly crafts everytime i got a craving. maybe you could take up knitting? or sewing or some other form of hobby that involves fiddly work.

Ok I'm gonna just shut up now coz I am rambling away haha xx
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    pistachios ,pistachios , pistachios..............Dr Oz swears by em...........try em, they supposed to inhibit weight loss,

ps, let us know, theyre kinda pricey, but yum yum..........

I love cashews, I could breath them, but I can t have em in the house, too tempting

remember PISTACHIOS.........Lloyd
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have two thoughts on this.....
    Firstly, looking at your diary the amount of carbs/refined sugar you're consuming so regularly will mean that your blood sugar is on a complete roller-coaster - it spikes and then crashes and the crashes will trigger the part of your brain that says 'give me more energy' and because there aren't other cues from the rest of your body (like a rumbling stomach) you will be on a kind of hunger-autopilot.
    My 2nd thought is if your raiding your own cupboards, give them a good clear out, restock with clean foods and see if that makes a difference.
    I know what it is like to graze aimlessly, trying to 'hit the spot' and the best solution i have come to is to plan my meals so that i KNOW when my next meal is coming and what it will be, and to have a clean cupboard.
  • sae1316
    sae1316 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Okay, here goes...I struggle with night eating or binges or whatever you want to call it and I am in no way qualified to be telling anybody else what to do. But... that being said I think that if you can just let yourself go for today only and get back on track tomorrow and not let 1 bad day derail your efforts you should cut yourself some slack and eat some things you want. This is not a license to go crazy for a week. Just today. For me, if I allow myself some freedom for 1 day when I am feeling ravenous (from hormones, stress or whatever) I can get back on track but if I don't, I never really get over it. Now this is just what I do and others may disagree. I have also found that a strict diet ( like your 2 week detox) even though you felt great and it probably was good for you, can sometimes trigger a binge. I hope this helps.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - keep suggestions coming.

A little more about me to help:
    - the cupboards are a dietitian's dream: nothing processed, nothing refined, no preservatives. We do have honey, real sugar - and I will use them in moderation. Well, that is until today's crazy - when I went out and GOT what I'd consider "bad" food
    - the fridge is stocked with healthy choices, fresh fruits, vegetables, lean meats
    - I don't fast and binge. I plan all my meals at least a day in advance and plan accordingly. I'm militant about it
    - My diary is open if you'd like to review and offer suggestions

I've eaten my scheduled meals, but it's this unchecked "need to feed" that I can't figure.

The gum idea is an interesting one - I might try that. I am concerned, tho, if it's sugarless that it might start a bad craving cycle because of the aspartame or additives.

Leaving the house is a good idea, too (with leaving the wallet behind). Might try that. Maybe even take a class at the gym.

I'm at my wit's end. It's ridiculous. Was feeling so great this week to feel so crummy right now. I know it'll pass.... I know it will, I know it will, I know it will....
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I get the same way at that TOM..I agree with the ladies who suggested gum..Also I keep hard cinnamon candy, it helps curb my appetite.
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,263 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've taken precautions to have only healthy foods in the cupboard and plan your meals ahead of time. Do you allow yourself a daily treat (mini size candy bar, fat free chocolate pudding with whipped cream, small cookie, etc.) to give yourself some indulgence or does that make it harder for you? I know many would not agree with me but allowing yourself to eat things you like in moderation (dole out the portions of snacks in small containers) can go along way to making you feel like you aren't depriving yourself. Also if you view your this journey as a diet rather than devising a meal plan you can "live" with as a lifestyle change may also add to your need to want to indulge to excess. Women's hormones play a big part and sugar highs and sugar lows also play havoc with energy levels and cravings. You may try tracking your sugar intake on your diary if you aren't already doing so. Too much sugar creates more hunger and cravings along with slower weight loss. Good luck!