Need to lose more BF!

Options
I'm only 9% at the moment.. how do i get to 6 I'm stuck... I've plateaued

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Lower is Not Necessarily Better
    A certain amount of body fat is vital for the body to function normally and healthy. In fact striving for a body fat percentage that is too low can be dangerous. Here's why...

Measuring your body fat percentage calculates your TOTAL body fat. This total body fat can be split into 2 categories...

Storage Fat -- This consists mainly of fat deposited just under the skin or subcutaneous fat. Storage fat for men and women is fairly similar. For the average man 12% of bodyweight is storage fat and for the average woman 15% of bodyweight is storage fat.

Essential Body Fat -- For the body to function normally and healthily a certain amount of body fat is required. This is called essential fat. For women the average amount of essential fat is 12% of bodyweight and for men it is 3%.

Trying to achieve a body fat percentage that is so low it affects your essential fat stores is NOT good for your health.

Some storage fat is also required for good health. It's used to protect internal organs in the chest and abdomen. So remember...
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Are you competing? I'll be getting into the nitty gritty of losing extra body fat for a competition - but I don't have the tips for you yet... Once I get them, I'll let you know! :)
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Are you preparing to go into a competition or something? I wouldn't try to keep it that low for an extended period of time or it will start to eat away at your muscles.