HRM Accuracy?

Options
Ok I bought a HRM as I wanted to be more accurate about calories burnt. I used it for the first time today and burned 500cals doing 50mins of dancing. This seems like a hell of a lot, miles more than MFP estimates (and I was expecting lower). I have just started being brave and eating exercise calories back and am worried I am going to eat way too much. Its a Polar FT4 and its definately set up right, I have checked many times. How accurate are heart rate monitors?

Replies

• KatyG0409
    KatyG0409 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Mine has been very accurate, I have an FT7. I burn about 488 cals in a 55 minute workout, depending on what I do for the duration.
  • dawnkitchen
    dawnkitchen Posts: 161
    Options
    According to my HRM, I always burn more than MFP estimations. Also more than gym machine estimations. (And yes, I enter my stats in those).
  • sturchem
    sturchem Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Mine is accurate as well. However, just breathing, I burn about 1.8 cal/min. So if I I exercise for 60 min I do 1.8 x 60 and subtract that total from the HRM total. i/e The HRM says I burned 655. 1.8 x 60= 108. 655-108= my actual calories burned by exercise.
  • my3kidos
    my3kidos Posts: 19
    Options
    I don't know sometimes I wonder the same thing. My HRM, mfp, and another site I use with a calculator based on average heart rate are always different. My hrm is a garmin and it tends to be most accurate for outdoors things like walking/running but for other things like weight lifting (been doing p90x) its not accurate at all.
  • sherrymo6
    sherrymo6 Posts: 79
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I just got the polar FT4 and used it tonight. It states I burned 649 calories in 60 minutes and MFP says 308. It is a little confusing if this correct
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty close to the same amount. I was using caloriesperhour.com before I got my HRM and they are pretty close to each other. Often the site was underestimating. As long as you have all your stuff programed in correctly, it's suppose to be the most accurate. :)
  • angisnee
    angisnee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Mine is accurate as well. However, just breathing, I burn about 1.8 cal/min. So if I I exercise for 60 min I do 1.8 x 60 and subtract that total from the HRM total. i/e The HRM says I burned 655. 1.8 x 60= 108. 655-108= my actual calories burned by exercise.

I do the same thing. So I'm not counting "just living" calories along with my exercise calories. I can't remember how I figured it out, but mine is more like 1.5 calories/minute. Some of the estimations on MFP are close, and some are way off. Depends on the exercise and my actual level of exertion. The HRM, as long as it's one with a chest strap, is going to be the most accurate, even though they are all just estimates in the end.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I thought mine must be measuring high, too, but then I started eating based on what my HRM said I burned (minus 100 for my normal hourly burn) and I was losing weight well, so I guess it's accurate. My burn is always way higher than the estimates on this site, and way higher than my Kinect program.