Its so hard to eat all of my calories after working out. Why

Options
msk4
msk4 Posts: 10 Member
Why is it so hard to eat all my calories when i workout? I never seem to eat all of them. Its so annoying b/c I need to lose weight.
I've only started this about a week ago.. I've been working out everyday. I am weighing my self tomorrow morning for the 1st time. We will see if I lost any. It doesn't seem like I have.

Replies

• klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I agree- I have trouble eating all my calories after I workout too
  • KatyG0409
    KatyG0409 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same problems. One thing I have done is add a protein shake in the mornings. I wasn't getting enough protein before and my calories have been way under until today. I just tried to snack a little more. I just forget to eat sometimes, which sounds dumb but I used to eat only once a day.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    It doesn't always meet my calorie needs, but in the evening after workouts, where I see I have 200+ calories to fill to reach my net of 1200, I will have

16oz skim milk (180cal)
    1 scoop protein powder (120cal)
    1 handful honey roasted peanuts (160cal)

that gives me 460 calories and is easy for me to finish off, even if it is very close to bed time. Like I said, it doesn't always meet my needs, but it gets me that much closer. Good luck and I really understand your struggle.
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    I use a workout fuel when I workout, and finish it after - it makes a big difference to hit the calorie total without adding to the fat/sodium. I also LOVE the protein shakes for the same reason. It's easier for me to drink after working out than eating, plus it helps me stay hydrated.
  • DreamLittleDarling
    DreamLittleDarling Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I am having a really hard time too! I just can't seem to eat all my calories no matter how hard I try! I mean... if I wasn't working out, I'd be way over every day, but because of working out I'm usually 300-400 under. But if I'm not hungry, I can't eat. I really REALLY wanna lose the weight, and I'm SO worried that if I don't eat all my calories I'm not gonna lose it =(
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    had the same problem. One thing I found that helped was to enter my food before I ate it. That way I had a better idea of what I still needed, I would try to eat a lot of nuts and peanut butter. Avacados. My problem now is that I am going way over on sugar and protein. But for now I want to concentrate hard on eating enough calories. Feel free to friend me! I am always looking for people to motivate me and for me to motivate them! You will figure it out though. Try not to stress.
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    This may be a stupid question...but, if I consumed 1600 calories, but burned over 800...it says I still have 400 and some off calories left. Does my NET calories need to equal 1200?? the 1600 doesn't matter?? I'm confused....
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    I'm STARVING after a workout!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I keep protein bars in the car or I would chew on the seatbelts.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to eat all my calories more so after my workout days,but I don't stress about it anymore and let my body tell me what it wants.If I'm not hungry I don't eat if I am then I do.Most will say this is wrong but I will not force myself to eat when I'm not hungry that's what got me in trouble in the first place.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with this. I'm pretty new to working out, so I'm not burning a ton of calories. Some evenings I am so hungry I want a snack. Since I've eaten my calories for the day, I work out so that I can have the snack, or a healthy dessert. But after I work out, I am no longer hungry. To eat, or not to eat? That is the question!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    This may be a stupid question...but, if I consumed 1600 calories, but burned over 800...it says I still have 400 and some off calories left. Does my NET calories need to equal 1200?? the 1600 doesn't matter?? I'm confused....

So you eat 1600. Then you work out. This workout USES those calories, and other stored calories in your body. Since you used up energy (calories) it is almost like saying you ate 1600 MINUS the 800 you burned. Therefore this site recommends you eat more, because your body is only seeing 800 for the day. So eating 400 after that will bring your body to a 1200 net (overall total)

did that help clear it up at all?
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    yes, that did help...and apparently, i've been doing it all wrong! :( I've been netting like 500-700 a day. YIKES. But, I don't feel hungry. I drink so much water, that I fill full most of the time...okay, well at least I know now what I need to do correctly. Thanks so much!
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Then if I don't workout I don't have enough calories to last the day for 1200. Tonight my net was 973 but I had Andes over days this week so it balances out. It also keeps the body guessing some.

You can make a fruit smoothie or some type of protein shake. You should have a protein shake or Greek yogurt after the gym to help your muscle.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Once you start getting an idea of how much you'll burn during a workout you can start just spreading it out through your meals earlier in the day. Depending on which cardio I do I'll typically burn anywhere from 300-600 calories. So I just add those calories into meals I eat through the day so I don;t end up with a huge surplus late at night.

Plus it makes you workout since you already ate the calories, there's no backing out after that. lol