$21 for 2 spaghetti squash?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Looks like I should start growing and selling me some spaghetti squash!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    That's pricey - when it is in season and on sale it is usually 69 cents or 79 cents per pound, off sale it ranges from 99 cents to $1.25 per pound. I think you were over charged.

This is usually the range we pay here also..............

In season 69 - 79 cents per pound.

Out of season 99 cents - 1.15 per pound is what we usually see.........
  • Fit4Penny
    Fit4Penny Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That does sound expensive but I guess it's possible depending on the size. I usually buy the smallest I can find and it runs me about $4-6!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Maybe you accidentally bought the gold-filled squash?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though - it's typicaly $1 per pound and when it IS in season, they are literally one dollar each (they weigh more than a pound).
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Probably labeled as some organic nonsense, so you get charged roughly 2x what it should be.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I think it all just depends on where you live....produce is priced differently depending on what part of the country you live in.
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Here in the central valley of California, they sell for 99 cents a lb, pretty much year round. But this time of year they come in from Mexico, it's on a sticker on the squash. I guess it depends on what area of the US you live in, as to what price they are. That just happens to be what I'm having for dinner tonight. One medium sqaush shreds up to about 5 small dinners, so I buy one squash and freeze the rest for later dinners. It freezes really well.
  • sandradickie
    sandradickie Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Here in the central valley of California, they sell for 99 cents a lb, pretty much year round. But this time of year they come in from Mexico, it's on a sticker on the squash. I guess it depends on what area of the US you live in, as to what price they are. That just happens to be what I'm having for dinner tonight. One medium sqaush shreds up to about 5 small dinners, so I buy one squash and freeze the rest for later dinners. It freezes really well.

I was wondering if you could freeze this squash after cooking and shredding. Thanks for the tip!!
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Heck no! Grocery stores in my area sell all squash varieties for $1.29/lb. When on sale it's $0.89/lb. You got robbed for sure! I would take the receipt back to the store and ask for clarification. There's no way 2 squash weigh over 16 lbs.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the feedback! I thought it was high. I live in the Toledo area. It was purchased at the local Giant Eagle. It rang up as $2.99/lb. I guess I need to shop around/wait for it to be in season or on sale. For the record, the recipe was really good. Someone posted the idea to add Laughing Cow Lite creamy swiss, parmesan, and small amount of lite margarine, salt and pepper. It was great! Tasted kind of like alfredo.

Is that the price the sign said too? Or did the cashier enter the wrong code?
  • kcalla
    kcalla Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My small spaghetti squash rang up $9 last month. I didn't take it. But then I live in Alaska so all veggies are high. And in the summer, I GLADLY pay for the $6/lb tomatoes at farmers market. They actually TASTE like a tomato! No pink mush! Oh I can't wait! Born and raised in Kansas where you walked out to the garden and ate them off the vine!