Feeling discouraged...

Options
I lost 15 lbs over the course of a couple months. I was so happy with myself. Although, in the last two weeks I gained 5 lbs! I am so sad right now. It feels like I will never reach my goal if i keep this up.
Can anyone relate or offer words of encouragement?

Replies

• saralind21
    saralind21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I lost 15 lbs over the course of a couple months. I was so happy with myself. Although, in the last two weeks I gained 5 lbs! I am so sad right now. It feels like I will never reach my goal if i keep this up.
  • Cloe
    Cloe Posts: 435
    Options
    Don't be discouraged, unfortunately it happens, but your still ahead you only gained 5 lbs. Those five could just be water retention (you know us ladies can gain that easily at a certain time of the month). Do not get discouraged you are still on the right track. Believe me, been there, done that. We are all bound to have our ups and downs, just count and work towards the ups out doing the downs. You can do it!:flowerforyou:
  • jmlane1981
    Options
    I can relate...I think when you lose weight, you let yourself get back in to old habits that make you gain weight, rather than continuing what you have been doing to maintain or lose more weight. I also think that's why people tend to gain the weight back that they lose. :explode: You have to remember though, if you get frustrated, you are more likely to give up and there is no telling how much you will gain then. Good Luck, we all need it. Keep your head up and we will be here for you whenever you need us. :wink:
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Had a recent upswing myself lately. It happens. Just keep at it and don't get discouraged!
  • TheGreyMouser
    Options
    It's easy, I think, to get a bit discouraged when your weight goes up rather than down. I've been slowly losing weight since starting on this site a few weeks ago, but last week I put on 1.5lbs. I think this may be because we had celebrated Diwali, the Hindu Festival of Light (my husband is Indian), and although I tried to be careful - avoiding the lovely Indian sweets I'd usually have at Diwali - we did have a couple of celebratory meals. Hence the weight gain. So I've been extra careful this week and lost 2.5lbs, thank goodness.

I think the thing to remember is that ,even if the weight does creep up a little, you can always lose it again and more. Don't let a minor setback make you lose heart. You can still do it.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I have a question...
    Did you gain the 5 Lbs seemingly overnight? OR was it here and there over two weeks?
    If you gained it over night I would not be suprised if it was water weight, This too shall pass and to help it along drink plenty of water. :drinker:
    If however you gained it here and there over the past two weeks and you where working out at that time. Then it is muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. and if you lose fat, and gain muscle instead, THAT IS A GOOD THING! Though it does not look good to you on the scale.
    HOWEVER muscle is a FAB fat buring machine. and will still be burning fat long after you stop working out. :happy:
    Keep us posted and let us know the outcome.
    --Diann...:flowerforyou:
  • rodeoruss
    Options
    don't let the scales hold you hostage or your be a hostage for ever. water weight over a day or even a week can cause fluxes. Just watch what you eat and keep up on your cal count. drink lots of water and stick to it. a weekly or daily scale check can cause depression even before you hop aboard. Just do the right thing. limit the scale check to bi weekly or even monthly. if you watch the rest you'll feel better and more supprized when you do make the seldom scale veiw of yourself, as it not the numbers on the dial that mean so much as the heart within.
  • yuna2003
    yuna2003 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    :sad: Dont give up been there done that !!! the famous yoyo!!
    once upon a time i lost 10 lbs..from 195 to 185 Yay!!!:bigsmile:
    but guess what!!...DunDunDun!!! I let myself get down in the dumps :cry:
    and now i weigh 220 lbs!!! :sad: im back on track and i will fight for the real me no matter how hard this up hill battle is!! :happy: so dont give up girl lets hang in there together and kick some bum!!! :bigsmile:
  • saralind21
    saralind21 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your posts! I need the encouragement. You are all right about how getting discouraged can lead to giving up and overeating. It's a viscous cycle for me.

I get so tied up in the here and now that I forget about the big picture. In general, I am losing weight, and thats a good thing. I sometimes let the scale set the mood for the entire day because I get so tied up on what my weight is. But we are all more than just a number!

Good news though.... I went to the doctor yesterday and my blood pressure has gone down! Thats a good thing because it used to be high. So i must be doing something right :happy:

Bad news... I am going to Mexico in about 5 weeks and I am SO nervous about having to wear a swimsuit! :embarassed: Its my stomach that bothers me the most. I don't want to let my weight ruin my trip, but how do i stop worrying about it so much? I know I still have some time to get in shape, although to look good in a bikini I would have to lose about 40 pounds. To do that I would have to starve myself. Obviously though, I am not going to do that. Anyway, if anyone has some more words of encouragement, it would be greatly appreciated!!
    ~Sara
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    It is so frustrating when you do so well for a while, see results and then the scale creeps back up, you feel like you sabatoged yourself, and it can take just two or three splurge days to do it. Because we try so hard it is a real kick when we see the scale increase. I hear you when you say it's hard to look at the big picture, you know you could have lost another pound that week but you stayed the same/gained or only lost a half a pound that is discouraging. We are hard on ourselves and it can ruin a day or a week........I think that mentality is with many of us on this site, which is probably one on the reasons why we got into trouble in the first place, our brains/psych can really mess with our self esteem, image and wellbeing.....with our new life style changes we are creating for ourselves we need to work not only on the food and fitness but how we react to food and our wieght with our thoughts as well. If it takes us a year to lose our weight it will probably take just as long to heal our emotional food baggage as well
  • cellorocker
    Options
    Hey, don't get down. We all have our ups and downs. In Mexico, think about it. If you're in the water, nobody can see what you look like down there! The alternative is to wear a towel, which is what I do.
    But I'd take that as motivation, Exercise more, but still watch your calorie intake, as some people tend to over-eat when they exercise more. GOOD LUCK TO YOU, GIRL. KEEP IT UP!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options

Bad news... I am going to Mexico in about 5 weeks and I am SO nervous about having to wear a swimsuit! :embarassed: Its my stomach that bothers me the most. ~Sara

Sara,

Congratulations on becoming healthier and having your blood pressure improve!

There are a lot of really beautiful and slimming one-piece suits. For my money, I'd rather have a one-piece or even a tank-ini that accentuates my good features and detracts attention from (and also holds IN) my problem areas. And, from the side of the "viewer", I'd rather look at a woman in a one piece who is confident, than one who is always trying to hide under a tee shirt in a bikini.

Another thing: buy a flowing, soft, semi-transparent sarong skirt to wear when you get out of the water. They can be short or long, and cover the mid-section. It also will give your skin some protection from the sun.

Have you noticed that it is usually the 90-yr-old gentlemen who wear the Speedos?? What's that about?:noway:

:glasses: Cheryl
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options

Sara-
    I am not sure what size suit you wear, but, if you are a 14 or more, go to the Avenue.com and they have swimsuits that are really flattering.
    Great job on the 15 pounds, and the 5 will come off. You are on the right track.
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options

Sara-
    I am not sure what size suit you wear, but, if you are a 14 or more, go to the Avenue.com and they have swimsuits that are really flattering.
    Great job on the 15 pounds, and the 5 will come off. You are on the right track.
  • filergirl
    Options
    If you want to drop weight very quickly before you depart, drastically cut the amount of salt in your diet. That means very few (if any) processed foods. Drink tons of green tea along with your daily intake of water. Avoid potentially inflammatory foods in general (including nightshade veggies such as tomatoes, red peppers, etc.).

As per the swimsuit issue, if you're not 100 percent confident, don't wear it. Bikinis aren't for everyone. Even when I was at my trimmest, I still did not reveal my "problem area" but wore boyshort-style bottoms, instead. Looking through some photos the other day, I thought, "I could have worn something much skimpier," but I appeared relaxed and confident in the photo, which is probably more important.

To deal with tummy issues, I imagine a tankini might be a good option. They do manufacture some with special fabrics which keep everything tucked in and smoothed out in the right places. Or, perhaps go with a retro one-piece, 1950s-style; they're quite fashionable right now.
  • Paeonia
    Paeonia Posts: 161
    Options
    Oh yeah definitely forget about a bikini if you aren't happy and confident in the way you look in it. The retro swimwear is such a cute idea :love: I wish I had thought of that when my husband and I took a belated honeymoon to Hawaii!

Here's one site I found with some cute one pieces:

http://www.mybabyjo.com/swimwear.htm

The leopard print 1 piece is my fave :heart: